How to avoid duplicate issues having same subject name using JEMH

Dinesh Dhinakaran
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2013

Hi I am using JEMH version 1.5 and JIRA version 6.0 and i am facing problem in duplicate tickets when jemh processing how to avoid creating issues have same summary

2 answers

2 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

Neitehr JEMH or JIRA mail handlers do incoming message to issue association based on subject, the relationship is 'weak' and will innevitably lead to crossed threads of communication, and support queues, implementing this would result in a support queue I dont want!

Users wanting to have a comment added to an existing JIRA issue have the following options;

1. Reply to an issue notification containing the issue key in the subject
  2. Refer the issue key in the subject, ACB-123
  3. Where email was used to create the issue, with additional recipients involved, replies by those recipients to the same message will be detected and associated with the issue key of the issue that was created.
  4. JEMH can also take directives to infer the issuekey, doesnt make sense for this in the subject, but an email body Directive would take the form, @issueKey=ABC-123

Are the above methods not acceptable? Why does subject matching appeal?

1 vote
SrinivasC March 18, 2015

Hi Dinesh,

I am also encountering the same problem.. A lot of our JIRA users file JIRA tickets via their emails.

Say, for example per day if 100 emails are turned in to JIRA tickets, at least 10 of them are having the duplicate Subject lines, when they become the JIRA tickets. 

I am certain that JEMH plugin is the culprit and not sure how we can avoid these duplicate ticket creation issue.

Thanks,
Srini 

Suggest an answer