How to avoid doubleclick in new Jira 6 toolbar?

Jan Prokeš
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2013

Hello,

as an proper early adopter I have upgraded to Jira 6.0 right after release. It's great so far, but there is a but, as always :-).

Why we need to click twice on menu? Why we have to choose Issues first and then click first option? And so on on all other menues like Agile, Tempo etc.?

I have provided feedback to this issue even during pre relase releases, but it's still there :-). Funny thing is, that I have received from about 40% of our users bug report this morning, that the menu does not react on one click as before.

So here is the question. Why we need to click twice? How I can avoid that double clicking? What can we do to have better old behavior for new, beautiful, but harder to use toolbar?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 vote
Jan Prokeš
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2013

Ok, I have created NOT nice code, that can do what old menu did. It simply catches the click event, if the user clicked 25px from right, then gets first link and redirec there. I have inserted that into one of ours plugins we have, so it's not a plugin at all. While I do not trust to this as a log therm solution, I will not do the plugin until I find better solution, while I expect, that jira 6.1 will give us one click menu out of the box again :-)

//catch menu link click
    jQuery("a.aui-nav-link").click(function(e) {
        e.preventDefault();

var el = jQuery(this);

//link width - the easiest way to get width with margins and paddings is to get parent width
        var width = jQuery(this).parent().width();
        //get X position within clicked element
        var posX = e.pageX - jQuery(this).position().left;

//in case we have clicked more then 25px from right go to first link in linklist
        //25px from right becouse we do not want to drop the dropdown function when we click on arrow
        if ((width - posX) > 25) {
            //uff, need to wait a little bit while menu is rendered, really not nice :-)
            setTimeout(function() {
                //get the link
                var link = jQuery("#" + el.attr("aria-owns")).find("div ul li a").attr("href");

//did we find something?
                if(typeof link != "undefined") {
                    //hooray, one click redirect to desired page
                    window.location.href = link;
                }
            }, 500);
        }
    });

0 votes
christian_nilsson May 23, 2013

We upgraded yesterday and the menu-dblclick was the first issue thing my team complained about!

0 votes
Jan Prokeš
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2013

Hi there,

there is noone with the same issue? My users are still asking why they need to choose board for example, when they use just one all the time.

No one other? No solution for that?

Thanks.

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2013

It doesn't look like it's a simple workaround. In older versions the dropdown trigger (arrow) and menu link were separate HTML elements. Now it's only one: the menu name is the trigger; the arrow is added from CSS.

Suggest an answer