How to avoid attachment reference in comment when adding attachments in Jira Service Desk?

Praveen Rawat January 18, 2019

When I add attachments to an issue in Jira Service Desk, attachment reference is being added as a comment.How can I avoid this?

2 answers

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2021

Hello @Andreas Lärkfeldt,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

This question was posted in 2019 and Jira has changed a lot since then.

The old view will be removed soon, so the screen from the screenshot I shared back then will not be available.

When customers create tickets using the portal or via email, the attachments are added as a comment because that’s the only way that attachments are visible in the portal for them.

The section “Attachments” is not visible on a request in the portal the same as for agents, so for customers to share attachments they must add it on a comment, and also for agents to share images, it’s necessary to it on public comment.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 09.39.09.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 09.40.38.png

Also, the editor of the description in the portal is a simple text box, so customers can’t add images there, that’s another reason why the images that they add are shared in the comments and not in the description.

There are feature requests suggesting improvements for that:

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Phil Evans November 18, 2021

Problem is with selecting "Add to issue only" - attachment added BUT it also generates internal comment

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2019

Hello Praveen and welcome to Atlassian Community!

When we browse an image to attach to Service Desk, this screen should appear, so you can choose "Share with customer" or "Add to issue only".

Screenshot 2019-01-22_16-37-50.png

If selecting "Add to issue only" the attachment will be visible only for agents that have access to the ticket, then if you want the customer to see, you must add the attachment to the comment.

If you are not seeing this screen, can you please let us know what browser are you using and also the steps you follow to add the attachment?
It will help us to better understand and replicate the issue here.

Regards,
Angélica

Andreas Lärkfeldt March 10, 2021

+1

why is the attachment added as a comment???

Atlassian: As you can see the attachment is added while issue is created! And it is in JSD!!! Not Software!!! 

in JSD issues are not created by agents, they are created from people outside of Jira! They can’t do what you are suggesting!

in their cases (which means 99% of all cases) attachements should be added to the description, not as a separated comment!

or am I totally lost here? :D

please investigate and fix this - think of UX 1.0 :D

kind regards

Andreas

Phil Evans November 18, 2021

Hi Andreas. Did you find solution or information on comments when addning attachments?

Is it like normal todays JSD behaviour or bug?

Have you found a workaround?

Andreas Lärkfeldt December 20, 2021

Hi @Phil Evans

Im not 100 sure if this is fixed or not yet, but 1) it wasn’t a “bug”, it was done by design 2) when I was in contact with atlassian about a year ago they were working on structural change that would fix this.

so the problem was how the structure of an issue was build which they are (or already have) looking into :)

everyone agree it wasn’t good at least ;)

Sue Wilson June 7, 2023

I know this thread is old, but I've just recently run into the same issue and came here to view possible options.

Issue:  user emails support, ticket is created, any logos within their signature are added as attachments AND a comment on create. Furthermore, when responding, those same logos will appear in comment after comment causing serious bloat and confusion looking for the actual valuable context.

Workaround:  3 step process to clean up Description, Comments, and Attachments

1. using Atlassian's hide signature feature, add custom text to hide remaining text, logos, etc in signature (i.e.- adding 'Thanks,' as custom text hides from 'Thanks,' to end) - this works for Description AND Comments.

2. created global automation - on issue create, compare comment author accountId to reporter accountId, if same, delete issue's 1st comment (this is the added during create with all the logo attachments).  This does not delete the attachments themselves, just the comment they are added to when the ticket is created.

3. using JMWE's 'Build-your-own (scripted) Post-function post-function', created a script for the create issue step that looks at the issue's attachments and deletes any that include a specific naming convention (i.e.-'image00') AND the size is below what a normal image attachment might be (i.e.-for the logos it's generally 4kb or less).  The logos are removed and any true images or attachments remain based on the logic of name & size in the script.

While it's not a full solution, it has helped clean up the tasks so the agents can view what's relevant without scrolling through tons of attachment comments, etc. that are in the way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events