How to automatically transition an epic when story starts to progress?

Katharina Seraphin October 6, 2016

As a JIRA admin I want

• my open EPIC ticket to transition automatically into the next status (in progress)

if

• one of the issues in epic
  • one of the linked stories

is moved from open to any other status (e.g. in progress, in dev, ..).

List of installed add-ons which may be useful:

• Automation
  • JIRA Utilities
  • JIRA Suites Utilities
  • JQL tricks
  • Script Runner

I can´t find any option in the post function area or any other hint how to solve that problem for EPICS and STORIES - only for tasks / subtasks.

6 answers

5 votes
John Gill June 3, 2019

I get that Atlassian wants to leverage the marketplace, but this seems like a condition that should be relatively logical function of an epic. When moving first ticket allow prompt to transition an epic, on last issue to done, ask if epic should be closed. Which I think already happens... could be wrong! 

Logan Clemons August 27, 2019

This really does seem like functionality that Jira should have out of the box. This is the kind of thing that skews metrics so much.

Like # people like this
5 votes
maichriedler August 21, 2018

I've written a small service that transitions Epics automatically if the status of linked stories is updated. It can be easily integrated into JIRA.

The source code is open source on GitHub here. I've also described in a blog post how it works here.

John Gill June 3, 2019

Best Answer, since it's free and does exactly what the user is asking for. Nice work Martin, thanks for this! 

3 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to transition stories when their epic changes (and vice versa) using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

(this example moves stories in the epic to "To Do" but that could be changed to anything really. You could set this up in reverse so that changes to a story transition the parent epic)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

Billy Retamal October 12, 2017

Thanks very much!! That's exactly that I was looking for!. Now, when any of the Epic's Issues is resolved differently than "Done", the status of the Epic changes to his corresponding state. :D!

Jessie November 6, 2018

This also solved my problem - thanks for the tip!!! 

0 votes
Katharina Seraphin October 27, 2016

@Steven Behnke - any idea on that topic? 

0 votes
Katharina Seraphin October 6, 2016

I added a list of add ons above in the ticket. 

Thanks in advance!

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2016

Please let us know what add-ons you have – This isn't really possible out of the box but many add-ons add functionality that add capabilities like this.

Suggest an answer