How to automatically assign issue to creator?

Lukasz Baksik August 3, 2016

Hi,

I wonder how to automatically assign issue to creator using post-function. I mean creator not reporter.

Thank you!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Konstantin Mitov [Botron]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2016

Hi Lukasz,

Check this article to see how to assign the issue using a post-function  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/configuring-auto-assign-779158849.html 

I am not sure what you mean by creator though. You can assign it to current user,  lead developer or reporter.  

Regards,

K

Lukasz Baksik August 3, 2016

Thank you for your answer! I know this page, unfortunately it doesn't solve my issue.

Reporter and Creator can be different persons. When the issue is created it's done by the Creator (and you can filter issues referring to this "role": https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/advanced-searching-fields-reference-764478339.html#Advancedsearching-fieldsreference-CreatorCreator). Reporter is simply the person pointed out by Creator as the person reporting the issue - usually it will be the same person, but it may be any user.

In my company we have many issues reported by top level management - usually they just let people know of a bug or new feature and want to see the things done. In such case when the issue is resolved I want the Creator to be assigned to the issue (e.g. for testing and further action), however I want to know who the real Reporter is (e.g. b/c when we close the issue the Reporter gets notification).

Regards,
Lukasz

Konstantin Mitov [Botron]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2016

Hi again Lukasz,

I'm not sure if you can achieve what you want with plain JIRA, but if you install script runner and add a script as a post function, a simple script like "issue.assignee = issue.creator" should do the job.

1. Install Script Runner for JIRA
  2. Edit your workflow (in text form).
  3. Click on the step name of the first status, usually "Open".
  4. Click on "Create Issue" incoming transition.
  5. Click on "Post Functions" tab.
  6. Click on "Add post function" link.
  7. Select "Script Post-Function" radio button, click on "Add" button
  8. Click on "Custom script post-function" link.
  9. Enter inline script

Regards, 

Konstantin

Lukasz Baksik August 8, 2016

Thank you, it works! :)

ps Strange... I was trying this solution before posting here and it didn't work. I must have made some mistake.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2016

Creator is now a separate field in JIRA and is stored differently from reporter. You can search using creator, just like you do with reporter. However, there is no default post function to assign an issue to creator.

JIRA Suite Utilities plugin (Free) and JIRA Misc Workflow Extentsions (Paid) both have copy field value from one field to another. You can try those to copy the value from creator to assignee and see if that works. I have used it for other fields but not for creator yet. Worth a try!

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2016

Reporter is the creator (of a JIRA issue), if you are not referring to the "creator" ( as in the guy in the sky). In JIRA there is no such thing as a creator.

Suggest an answer