How to automatically append current user to custom multi user picker field during workflow transition?

Jeff Scarsbrook October 22, 2012

I have a custom multi user picker field that I am looking to update automatically during a workflow transition, but I am looking to add the current user to the custom field and not replace the value. For instance, if we require multiple people to approve a deployment, we'd like to set up it up so that the different approvers can go in and click the "Approve Deployment" button and it will automatically add that current user to the Deployment Approval By custom multi user picker field. On the transition, I know there is a post transaction option to "Update Issue Custom Field" to "%%CURRENT_USER%%". However, that will just overwrite the existing value of the multi-user picker field to that user, not add the user to the value for that field.

I know that I can just make a screen for that transition and force the user to add themselves manually to that field. However, since JIRA also has decided that it's not important enough to allow the ability to restrict multi-user picker fields to certain groups or roles, it's a lot easier to just automatically do it for the user based on their %%CURRENT_USER%% tag instead of forcing them to search the list of all users in the company.

5 answers

1 vote
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2013

Hi Stephen,

I wanted to let you know that an improvement request has been raised for this item. You can vote on its inclusion here: https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/browse/JSUTIL-157

Thanks,

Paul

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2014

This was perfect for us!! Thanks :)

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Can't you use the Script Runner Plugin and add a post function to do it?

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Script+Runner

0 votes
Jeff Scarsbrook October 25, 2012

Anybody have any ideas?

0 votes
Jeff Scarsbrook October 24, 2012

Anybody have any ideas?

0 votes
Jeff Scarsbrook October 24, 2012

Anybody have any ideas?

Suggest an answer