How to automate backup for new version of JIRA Cloud

Jonas Krucher August 7, 2017

Hi,

I need to perform automated backups for a JIRA Cloud instance which seems to have a new version. A path as seen in this script fails with a 404 error. The path looks like this:

https://INSTANCE_NAME/rest/obm/latest/runbackup

When asking the Atlassian support for help, I got this answer:

For instances that are in the new platform, the endpoint will be as following:

https://INSTANCE_NAME/rest/backup/1/export/runbackup

However, this does not work out of the box, I get a 500 error with this error message: "If there are no known problems and your page hasn't appeared again in 5-10 minutes then please create a support request for assistance."

I tried it with this path several days now and still get the same error message.

When I change the credentials to something wrong, I get a 401 Unauthorized error, as expected.

Unfortunately the support could not help me any further.

Was someone able to successfully access the backup functionality using this link for a newer version of JIRA Cloud? Am I doing something wrong?

Best,

Jonas

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2017

Hello Jonas, 

The backup script you are using does not currently work with our new Cloud platform, which you are on.

Although the script is unsupported by Atlassian, the endpoint is, so we have reported this as a bug: JRACLOUD-67169

The issue right now is that from the new platform, the endpoint is not accessible from outside. Once this is resolved, then you will be able to automatically create backups using this script. The workaround, for now, is to create the backups manually using the UI.

Do let us know if you have any questions about this!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Jonas Krucher August 10, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your answer! This is very useful information. I'll perform the backups manually for now until this problem is resolved.

Best,

Jonas

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2017

Glad I could assist, Jonas!

Take care and have a pleasant weekend. :) 

Kind Regards,
Shannon

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
August 22, 2017

@Jonas Krucher

The endpoint is now available to be called from a script. Please see the workaround we have added to JRACLOUD-67169

Cheers,
Dario

Jonas Krucher August 22, 2017

Hi Dario,

Thank you very much!

Best,

Jonas

Harold Dost November 13, 2017

@Dario BSo is

https://INSTANCE_NAME/rest/backup/1/export/runbackup

the new way to go or is it just a workaround.

Like Owner Service likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2017

@Harold Dost

That's the new endpoint in the new infrastructure.

The other endpoint was the one in use for the old cloud infrastructure. 

However, since taking backups from scripts in not officially supported there may be other changes in the future.

I hope this helps

Harold Dost November 13, 2017

Thank you @Dario B!

Dario B
Atlassian Team
November 15, 2017

You are very welcome! :) 

Suggest an answer