How to auto-assign tickets or not auto-assign tickets based on who the current assignee is

Christina Huynh August 25, 2017

So I think I've figured out how to have my designers, devs, and QA all on one workflow. However, I only want dev tickets to auto-assign to QA after they've been completed, but not design tickets. Dev and design all use "task" as the default ticket type currently, but that can change.

I am thinking that if there is a way where we could say on a ticket, if the current assignee is designer A or designer B and the task moves to the complete status, do NOT auto assign to QA, but if the current assignee on the ticket is everyone else BUT designer A and B and the task moves to the complete status, DO auto-assign to QA, this would be achievable. However I'm not sure if that is possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2017

Natively within JIRA it isn't possible to do this.  What you are describing though is what I would call a conditional post-function (that name is confusing in itself).  Workflows have conditions, and post-functions, but each of these operate in different ways in regards to the transition itself.   You don't appear to want to stop the transition from happening, so conditions in JIRA workflow won't really help here.   It sounds like you want a post-function to be triggered, but only in very specific cases.

Instead, I think there have been other users that found ways to either write their own plugin to do this, or use a 3rd party plugin in order to achieve this kind of functionality.   I would recommend:

both threads appear to have different plugins for JIRA that could be used to create this kind functionality.

Suggest an answer