How to associate issue type with existing active workflow

Manju Nambiar September 6, 2012

Hello,

I am trying to associate a new issue type with existing active workflow. I checked the documentation and am not able to find an alternate way other than to disassociate workflow scheme from project, which I am very very reluctant to do.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Manju

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

You need to do the disassociation, but you can

1) copy the active workflow

2) modify the copied workflow

3) test the copied workflow on a test project that is only exposed to you.

4) Once tested, then disassociate the workflow and remove the test project.

4) now disassociate the active workflow

5) now associate the copied workflow

Manju Nambiar September 11, 2012

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the details.

Questions:

1. When the active workflow is disassociated and copied workflow is associated, what happens to the historical data i.e. all the bugs that are already in the system for the project?

2. how can i restrict user access to the project when i do the disassociation-association? Because otherwise data might get corrupted or users might see issues when trying to create the bugs using the workflow, correct?

3. can the user make the choice to associate a particular workflow when creating a bug of a particular issue type? if yes, then how?

Thanks,

Manju

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2012

1) Historical Data is maintained when switching workflows.

2) No simple answer here. I do mine during offhours or scheduled downtime. Please see this previous answer on what other people do. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/23084/block-users-during-maintenance

3) The user cannot choose a workflow to apply to an issue. The association of workflow to an issue is defined in the workflow schema. You can have different paths within your workflow for different groups of users. When the person selects the next state, that new state can validiate if that user belongs to the proper group. You can also use roles as well.

Suggest an answer