How to assign worklow schemes to custom fields?

Daniel December 15, 2013

I want to use Jira for a whole company (about 500 employees) and want to use the projects for every department. These departments need different workflows and issue types. That is possible without problems, but ...

.. I need a possibility to have projects in these departments with different workflows too. My thought was to add a custom field called "project" and assigning several configured workflow schemes, but they only can be assigned to issue types. Is there another chance to realize this approach, with add-ons or something else?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2013

Workflows (and most other config) is not by issue type, it's by project AND issue type. A lot of places only do it at a project level.

What I'm getting at is that you can do:

Project 1: Bug: Workflow 1

Project 1: Feature: Workflow 2

Project 1: Task: Workflow 3

Project 2: Bug: Workflow 3

Project 2: Feature: Workflow 4

Project 2: Thing: Workflow 1

Daniel December 16, 2013

Thank you for your reply, but I want to avoid this workaround with a lot of issue types. :-(

Are there no other possibilities?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2013
It's not a workaround, it's what you're asking for. You have to have something that definitely defines what workflow to use, and in Jira, this is project and issue type (which is a lot more flexible than a lot of other trackers). I'm not actually very site of what you're asking either - if you try to do workflow and other settings by random arbitrary field, you just get an inconsistent mess.

Suggest an answer