How to assign multiple Portfolio Teams to a single user story in Portfolio?

Ashwin Kupatkar June 16, 2016

Hi,

With the new upgrade of Portfolio it seems that it is not possible to assign multiple Portfolio Teams to a single user story in Portfolio. 

This was not the case in previous version of Portfolio.

Need help in this regard.

Does JIRA recommends to use One Team for One Story?or any other reason?  Justification of the same  from the Atlassian Development team  would be great.

How to overcome the situation if i want the story to be assigned to multiple Portfolio Teams. 

Thanks.

Regards,

Ashwin

2 answers

1 vote
Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2016
Hey Ashwin,
You can only assign multiple teams to issues above the story level (i.e epic or higher). This is consistent with older versions of Portfolio where stories could only be assigned to one team.
A story is generally a work item carried out by a single team. If a story is large enough to require multiple teams then it’s likely an indication that it should be broken down into more granular work items. Perhaps the story is better represented as an epic or further broken down into separate stories? 
If you want to associate multiple teams on a single issue I recommend using an epic to represent the work. Break down the work into stories then assign those stories to different teams. The multiple teams will then be reflected on the epic.
Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Paul Hendricks August 16, 2016

How do you assign multiple teams to an epic? It seems to be a radio button for me. 

Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2016

Hey Paul,

You're unable to assign multiple teams directly to the epic but you can assign multiple teams to its child stories which will then be represented on the Epic.

Bernardo March 20, 2018

Hi,

The problem with not being able to assign more than one portfolio team to a same epic is that, if I base my Scrum Boards filters on teams, then the boards will not show the epics that are not assigned to an specific team. 

If I break an epic into multiple stories that are then assigned to different teams, the teams that are not the main epic assignee will not have the epic shown on their board. That, kind of sucks. 

Any work around that is not an ugly JQL filter behind the board??

Tom Solaru July 20, 2018

@[deleted]we used this condition in our JQLs:

OR issuetype = Epic AND Component = TeamComponentName

It requires tagging your Epics with a Component (or Label would also work) but then the Epic can be viewed in Agile Boards and Portfolio Plans for multiple teams. 

Rick Olson April 2, 2021

We use this method. I would prefer to associate multiple teams to an epic, but including multiple components for the epic, and including the JQL query condition above, does the trick.

0 votes
Ashwin Kupatkar June 19, 2016

Thanks Rhys Christian

Suggest an answer