How to assign jira issues to role-based accounts instead of individuals ?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

Here is the use case: the project team does not want to have the default assignee to an individual because people may not know who is in charge.

They want some kind of generic account like "Defect Coordinator", an account that does not solve the issues itself but that it is in charge of assigning them to the right person.

This person may change from time to time, for example when the original coordinator is in vacation.

I would prefer not having to add a local-directory account as I am using LDAP authentication and trying to keepthe local account to minimal -- I may need "defect coordinators" for lots of projects.

Another reason why I do not want to use local account is because it would require administrator access to change the email adress of this user and also because I do not want to have multiple accounts sharing a single email address.

How are you dealing with this?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2012

Hmm. I don't think you can. You've ruled out "dummy user with changing ownership" and "changing ownership between individual humans". You've got to do one or the other.

This isn't even a Jira question really, it's about process. Iissue X needs to be owned by Y, where Y can be anyone, but only one person at a time. You either have to have a flag for the current user to carry (change user as needed), or a single point of contact with a redirect (dummy user).

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

I just proposed them to use "unassigned issue" feature, combined with a filter that notifies the coordinator about outstanding issues. I am keen to find out if the team will buy this approach :D

Suggest an answer