How to assign an issue to a group?

Kat Max March 11, 2016
Hi,
I am trying to assign an issue to a group.
I have created a new custom field - group picker (as described in the manual) and completed re-indexing, On top, i have created a group (under user management >> group). However, i do not see the new custom field in my issues and still, the only possibility i have is to choose the user from the list of the users.
Am i missing something?
Pls advise.
Tnx
Kat

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

5 votes
Answer accepted
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2016

Hi, 

You can't assign an issue to a group. You can create a mail group and then assign the issue to the user that uses that mail group address but other than that it is not possible to assign an issue to a jira group. 

If you want to use a custom field in a project than you should put it in a screen that is used by the project. If you don't you can't see it in issues. But even if you put it in your project, it does not mean you can assign the issue to a group. It is just a custom field.   

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2016

Elifcan is absolutely correct, the assignee field holds a user as the one single person currently responsible for the issue. 

Adding a group picker for "this group is also responsible" is a very good approach to involving a group of people.  There are other things you can look at too - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/how-do-i-assign-issues-to-multiple-users-207489749.html

Like # people like this
Kat Max March 12, 2016

Thank you.

However, i am not sure this would be the best solution to me.

I will now explain what i need:

I want to assign issue to the QA team and than the QA team leader will reassign it to the relevant QA member. Once the issue is assigned to QA, the only person that will get the notification is the QA team leader and than he will choose the relevant person from the QA team.

What would be the best solution and how to make it work?

Many thanks,

Kat

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2016

You can't assign it to a group (in real life, it doesn't work anyway)

For your case though, it is really simple.  Assign it to the QA team lead.  It's their responsibility to either deal with it, or delegate it by assigning it to someone else.  For the notifications, just check that the notification scheme says that "issue assigned" and "issue updated" notify the current assignee.

Like # people like this
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2016

If you want you can create a mail group as I described above and assign the issue to that mail group. Add every member of qa team to that mail group.  It becomes something like a pool that every qa team can see. But as Nic said you can just assign it to the team leader too. 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Sean March 26, 2018

I'm adding to this old thread because we are considering Jira SD and our current system supports group based routing. 

My approach was to explain to our staff how Jira queues differ from queues in our current system. In our current system a queue is a bucket. A ticket can be moved from one bucket to another group's bucket, and it can exist only in one bucket at a time. A Jira SD project is one big bucket, and the queues are just filtered views. 

I created a field called "Assigned to Group" that defaults to our first tier Help Desk. It can be assigned to other groups like the Tier 2 Help Desk, onsite-support, DBAs and SysAdmins, etc. I have created queues, filters, and dashboard gadgets that filter to show unassigned tickets for a particular queue.  If I want to, it looks like I could create an automation to notify the manager of a group if a ticket that is assigned to that group remains unassigned for too long, but we are really looking for a paradigm shift away from relying on email to provide customer service. If your role includes providing regular customer service, you will be expected to have the Service Desk tool open as regularly as you open your email. You will be responsible for what is assigned to you as well as what is assigned to your group and awaiting someone to take ownership.  

I know some organizations have a hard time giving up email as the way they receive their assignments, but email is really terrible for providing customer service. Technically I could create a rule that emails an email distribution list whenever a ticket is assigned to the corresponding group, but I'm tired of enabling people who only want to watch their email. My ideal for the future, if I can get buy-in, is to use labels more and have people filter tickets based on labels for their areas of subject matter expertise (or some other assigned attribute like a department or a building they support). 

Girish Babu Chougale June 4, 2019

Hello Sean,

Can you please help me with steps you suggested, i would like incorporate the same

Regards,

Girish

0 votes
Uzair Mohammad October 18, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Problem: Say we have a feature that involves two people simultaneously(real-world example; digging a well using conventional method, one guy digs and another guy at the top get the rubble out of well.)  our feature involves something similar, I want both Alice and Bob work together on it. How can I do that in JIRA? 

jreig83 December 28, 2017

In this case I would create a STORY/TASK named "digging a well somewhere" and 2 SUBTASKS named "digging" assigned to Alice and "rubbling out" assigned to Bob.
Then the STORY should be assigned to someone. To Alice's and Bob's manager? Unassigned?...

Another approach could be creating an EPIC "digging a well somewhere", and then 2 STORIES/TASKS linked to that EPIC. Then assign STO1 to Alice and STO2 to Bob.

I cannot tell which method is better, there are a lot of variables.

Like # people like this
Chloé Gervais May 8, 2019

Hi Jaume Reig,

Let's say we do what you're suggesting. Is there a way for Jira to tell Bob when Alice is done digging the well ? Without having to go through the manager's re-assigning ? 

Taking into consideration that these 2 tasks cannot be done simultaneously. Bob will always be waiting on Alice before starting he own task.

I'm looking at Workflow post-function and goup users, i'm just confused as to what's the best approach.