How to assign an issue in one project to a version in another

Kevin Molloy February 25, 2013

Hi, I know there was a similar question but the "answer" was to define custom fields to record a version. This bypasses all the great functionality that's built into JIRA for reporting and analysing versions.

We capture all our customer reported bugs in a "3rd line support" project, "new feature requests" in a seperate project. Each bug or feature is typically associated with one of our products which has an engineering development project.

When we come to do a new release of our software we create a version in the relevant products project and I want to assign a number of bugs and features from the other projects to the version in the development project.

In general I want to assign an issue in one project to a version in another. C an this be done using the JIRA in-built fields?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2013

No.

Versions belong to their projects. If you want to assign an issue into a version, the issue must be in the project that the version is in. So you need to move the issue into the target project.

You could duplicate all the versions from the target projects back into "3rd line support" and "new feature requests", or, as you've already mentioned, use a custom field or labels (which wouldn't be a Jira "version"), but no, you can't cross-projects in the way you're suggesting.

Kevin Molloy March 5, 2013

Many thanks for confirming what we suspected.

Possible workaround is to create one issue in the target project and link the issues from the other projects to this issue if they are approved for inclusion in the new version.

Preserves traceability in both the donor and target projects.

Suggest an answer