How to assign a test id in jira-python

Alex Hamilton July 31, 2017

I want to assign the full test name when I create an issue. In the jira-python documentation under the fields dictionary they list:

project: {'key': 'PROJ-KEY'}

project: {'id': PROJ-ID}   (where proj id is an int

project:{'name': 'PROJ-NAME'}

For some reason, only the 'key' keyword seems to work for me, but it randomly assigns a number to the test. For example, if I enter:

project:{'key': 'PROJ-KEY'}

Then the created issue will have the name 'PROJ-KEY-randomnumber', so say that my PROJ-KEY is STAR, the issue will be named:

STAR-7571

I'd like to designate what that the full name would be so that if I want the issue to be named STAR-123, I can do that through the jira-python api by using the 'id' or 'name' keys. I want to have tighter control over the issue creating so that I don't keep creating the same issue unnecessarily. 

Please let me know if I can make this any clearer. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shaun S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2017

Alex,

If I understand correctly, you're wanting to use the python-JIRA library to explicitly set the issue key to a specific number?  If that's correct, this currently isn't something that can be dictated by the user. When an issue is created via python, REST, or web interface JIRA assigns the issue key number sequentially to the issue.  If the last created issue in a project is EXAMPLE-255, the next issue created in that project would automatically be assigned EXAMPLE-256. Am I correct in what you're trying to accomplish?

Alex Hamilton August 1, 2017

Yes that is the idea. Thanks for answering.

Suggest an answer