How to assign a set of permitted resolutions to a specific issue type?

Vladislav Petrovskiy March 5, 2015

I have created a new issue type in my JIRA. Say, for example, it's called Incident. Now I am creating custom workflow which will be then used for issues of that type.

Under the Issue Attributes → Resolutions section there are some predeclared out of the box resolutions such as "Fixed", "Won't fix", "Duplicate" and so on, and it gives me an ability to create my own new resolutions.

Now the most important point. How can I create and configure a number of resolutions so that these new resolutions will only be available for issues of my specific type (Incident), and unavailable for issues of any other types? At the same time, out-of-the-box resolutions must be unavailable for Incident-issues.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2015

Resolutions are global, they don't have contexts or schemes like custom fields do.  It's a single list, available to all issues irrespective of issue type or any other data.

However, you can do it with a bit of work.

It is NOT directly related to issue type though, it's done via workflow.  In JIRA, you can associate different workflows with different issue types and projects.  So you can set up something like:

• Project AAA, Bug: Bug workflow
  • Project AAA, Task: Task workflow
  • Project AAA, Feature: Task workflow
  • Project BBB, Bug: It is Broken workflow
  • Project BBB, Task: Task workflow

So, five project/issuetype combinations, but only three workflows.  The trick to restricting resolutions is done at a workflow level, so if you do this for the "task workflow", it's important to understand that you will affect AAA-Task, BBB-Task and AAA-Feature.

The trick itself is documented at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Workflow+properties

Suggest an answer