How to ask for help within Jira

Chris Purser June 4, 2016

When within JIRA and looking for help, the entirety of the help dialog only leads one to confluence.atlassian.com with docs for the requested software.  

image2016-6-4 15:6:26.png

However, searchability is restricted to documentation so when someone wants to find how to do something that is not covered in the docs, which happens a lot, searching for it often yields poor results.  

image2016-6-4 15:7:28.png

Then there is a place there to ask the Community, and so we're prompted to CREATE the request on the next page...  

image2016-6-4 15:9:9.png

BUT, when you get to that page if you remember to quit what you started, and FIRST search there also, you are far more likely to get your answer.  But it's not intuitive to think you'd have to search in both places redundantly. So twice now (and yes we're new) I've searched for a solution using this very path, not found what I was after, posted a request, only then to, on a whim, research in the new place where I found myself posting, and found my answer...  you can see how easy this is to happen and I'd be surprised if it didn't happen a lot.

So now I have two posts out there that I was able to answer myself, except that the path to the answer was:

1. Look in docs
  2. Get prompted to post a request
  3. post request
  4. realize I'm in a new place
  5. search there
  6. find my answer
  7. learn my post was for nothing.

Seems if the searches were combined in any way - OR - the "Have a question about this article" dialog FIRST searched the community for results that were not found in the docs, then steps 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 could have been avoided.

This seems a fairly big hole in the self help process, which is why I spent some time reporting it.  I hope this helps.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2016

Answers is in many cases the fastest way to get help.

Another way is the engage with a Expert company and get it from there this way it will be guaranteed.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

0 votes
Chris Purser June 5, 2016

Yes, yes.  I agree. 

I was hoping this story would reach someone that might address this problem for everyone.

1. When in JIRA and looking for help, there could easily be a link to the community.
  2. When "Ask the community" is offered from outside "answers" (i.e. in confluence where all the docs are) then the first prompt when asking a question should be all the related answers.  But that only shows AFTER you are prompted to post the question, not before... unless the thought occurs to you to search again in the new place you landed.

Anyway - Thanks.  I'll bookmark answers now and stop using the help within Jira. It just seems like a major disconnect to me.

Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2016

The best place to find answers is confluence.atlassian.com - it's currently the single source of truth. answers is a secondary source - we'll be using our experience to add to confluence.atlassian.com's information.

Not sure if @Joe Clark [Atlassian] has anything to add to this..

Suggest an answer