Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ask a question

vu chinh October 23, 2013

how to ask a question

8 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

16 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2013

It's good to actually ask a question - a good indicator in English is a question mark

But http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html is one good essay on how to ask questions well (i.e. in a way that gets you a useful answer)

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2013

Now, that also answers "how to answer a question" ;)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2013

Well, um, "how to answer a question" is not a question. Even if you add a question mark, it's still only correct grammar if it's the title for a document. I think most of us just assume the meaning is "How do I answer a question?" so we can get on and answer it :-)

2 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2013

By providing more details of your issue .

1 vote
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2013

where you need to ask a question?

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2018

I know what Bharadwaj is saying, where is the "Ask a question" link/button located on the page?  I am trying to ask a question and I can't find it.  Can I access it from the "Create" search box?  Very poor layout of this page.  I have asked questions before and by some miracle found the button I cannot find it today...

ask question.PNG

ask question.PNG

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2018

Never mind, I see it now!  Please make it easier to locate...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2018

The four places you've pointed to are the worst possible places to look, what made you even think it might be there?

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2018

I was looking for a larger link or button!  I'll remember next time...

Marshall Zwick April 24, 2018

I'm trying to ask a question also.

Can someone please point me to where the button is? I can't find it!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2018

There's a nice big "create" link in the header.

Marshall Zwick April 27, 2018

Thanks Nic

The link name could be a little more descriptive ("Create a Question").

They should really do something like that.

rossmcm July 20, 2018

I have to agree.  I was flummoxed about how to ask a question until I stumbled across this thread (@Adaptavist - a screen shot would be helpful ;-)).

Atlassian.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2018

I worry that people would need a screen-shot to find it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2017

Wrong place, try asking a full new question.

0 votes
jp yagelowich February 27, 2017

@admin admin How can I ask a question?  I have a question regarding JRA-7159.  I would like to know if this or how this case can be fixed.  I have a situation where I am being forced by the Jira system to input a Resolution even though I have un-selected Resolution as a field.  

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2018

You need to click the create button on top of page then a pop up will appear with two choices "ask a question" or "start a discussion".  Bad design IMO those should be clearly visible without having to press create.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2018

Personally, I'd sack off the discussion option and make it a tick-box afterthought, as 99% of discussions raised are questions.

0 votes
AdrianLanternPay99 June 20, 2016

I question your question in my answer in Answers.

0 votes
koray bingol April 6, 2015

How to manage multiple level requirements in RMsis? As i understand up to now, we can not, for example if we want to manage both stakeholder requirements and system requirements, we can not establish traceability between them. Besides, we can only make baseline for one level of requirements (either system or stakeholder for example). RMsis documentation states that, requirement is only leaf level that means we can manage only one level of requirements. If i am wrong, how can we use RMsis for managing multiple level requirements such as stakeholder reqs, system reqs, software reqs, etc. Or what can you suggest me?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2017

Wrong place, try asking a full new question.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2013

You already asked a question. So you know how to do it.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events