How to archive projects in JIRA Studio?

John Alexander Bye August 24, 2011

What is the proper way of archiving projects in JIRA Studio?

We're a small company that is dealing with a whole lot of projects of all sizes. Some projects may take one week to complete, others several months. In order to track issues as we develop and to make sure we have the source code around, we are currently creating a separate 'Studio Project' for each of these. Now, a couple of months later we have about 25 projects and the list of projects and spaces is starting to get huge. About 15 of the 25 projects are already completed and should be hidden.

There's a Wiki article explaining how to hide projects, but this just isn't a complete solution. While I am able to hide the 'JIRA project' from the project list by changing its permission scheme, I am not able to completely hide the 'Confluence space' from the user that created the space.

Is it possible to hide a 'Studio project' properly? If not, is it on the roadmap?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Alexander Bye August 25, 2011

I found the following issue on JIRA Studio's issue tracker: https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JST-2079

After having read the documentation and the reply from Atlassian it doesn't seem that it is currently possible to achieve the behaviour I wanted. I have voted and started watching the referenced issue. Hope to see this feature included in a future release.

Danny At Resolute March 19, 2012

Also see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1450 which is older, has about 60 votes and a lot of discussion.

1 vote
Thiago Ribeiro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2011

Hi John,

While Confluence doesn't have this feature implemented, it wont be available in Studio as well.
I've found this feature request for Confluence:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-7247

Feel free to vote for that

Considering that this feature isn't available, I'd love to hear how others with a lot of projects (e.g. client work) manage their JIRA Studio instances and Studio projects after they have been completed.

Hi Thiago. Thanks for the answer. Do you know how Atlassian handles this? I mean, if a project becomes obsolete but you want to keep the source code around?

Thiago Ribeiro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2011

By generating XML backup of the project, so you can always import it once again if it's needed.

John Alexander Bye August 25, 2011

I am guessing this is not a valid solution for my situation as I would need to contact support every time I want to remove a project (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRASTUDIO/Data+Backups). I guess we'll keep the projects around and rely on the 'Recent projects' feature for now.

0 votes
Danny At Resolute March 18, 2012

We also have projects that we want to set as archived, without deleting them.

Making a backup and deleting is a workaround but it creates historical information holes. There is often information in the older issues that has not been captured to Confluence but is important to be able to find.

The prefered behaviour would be to mark projects as closed or archived. We should then be able to filter out archived projects and to enforce a "no new issue" policy unless the project is reopenned.

0 votes
Danny At Resolute March 18, 2012

We also have projects that we want to set as archived, without deleting them.

Making a backup and deleting is a workaround but it creates historical information holes. There is often information in the older issues that has not been captured to Confluence but is important to be able to find.

The prefered behaviour would be to mark projects as closed or archived. We should then be able to filter out archived projects and to enforce a "no new issue" policy unless the project is reopenned.

0 votes

Considering that this feature isn't available (ref; Thiago Ribeiro), I'd love to hear how others with a lot of projects (e.g. client work) manage their JIRA Studio instances and Studio projects after they have been completed.

Suggest an answer