How to archive components?

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2012

Hi guys,

I think I'm not the only one who wonders how one can get rid of abandoned components. Over the years, "dead" components accumulate in the components list which is already long enough without them.

Deleting the components from the list is no option because you have to store the issues on some other component or a dummy before you can delete it, and it would affect searching and reporting very badly.

XML backup is no help either.

It's important for us that abandoned components remain in the same productive JIRA instance, so users can still see them somewhere and also search issues that have been booked on these components.

At the moment we use the sorting to place abandoned components on the lower end of the list by renaming them {component}. Not very nice but it works.

I thought about an archive project that everyone can browse. We could add abandoned components there (and the versions), then filter for the issues and move them over to the archive project. Links would still work because JIRA records what issue ID the issues had before.

Did you have this problem too, and how did you solve it?

Cheers

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2012

Archiving project is the best solution without any extra development. But you might end up having more archived projects than just one!

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2012

Thanks Jobin, I guessed so. I'm aware that we might have more than one archive project in the future. I think, we will do with one or two because our instance is not very big and the properties of the projects (I mean fields, workflows, permissions, ...) don't vary too much.

Suggest an answer