How to apply mask to version name field?

Елена Мельян January 17, 2018

Hello!

I need to use only-digits mask for version name field. How can i make this?

Thnx

Best regards,

Elena Melyan

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

There is no way to do this natively, I'm afraid.

You could try injecting javascript to try to stop people using non-numeric characters, but you  may need to make it work in many places, and javascript is notoriously hard to make work in Jira and hard to maintain or upgrade.

Елена Мельян January 18, 2018

Thank you for your reply.

Is it possible to solve this problem with Bamboo integration (release naming using variables) or try some plugins?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/naming-versions-for-deployment-releases-361726798.html

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

You could use Bamboo with a good naming scheme so that users aren't tempted, but it won't stop them adding their own with letters in them.

Another thought sprang to mind for me - if you're willing to code (or use ScriptRunner), you could write a listener that picks up "version created" events, and does something with them.  My initial idea would be "remove all non-numeric characters and check it's not now a duplicate, removing the version if it is, and renaming it if it's new", but you'd have to explain that carefully to your users.

Елена Мельян January 19, 2018

Thank you for detailed consultation
Can I use webhook for these purposes also ( like a trigger on "version created")?
https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/webhooks/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2018

I've not tried webhooks on events other than issue events.

I suspect you can.

Suggest an answer