How to allow anonymous users to create only particular issue type?

David Finney September 3, 2013

I have an issue type for a particular JIRA project named Public inquiry. There are other issue types but I want the anonymous users to be able to create only Public inquiry issue types and nothing else. How can I do that?

4 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2013

You can't, technically. Jira allows anyone with "Create" to create any issue type.

There are workarounds of course. Writing or scripting a quick validator to check and reject entries based on issue type is one approach. Another one I've used in the past is a kludge with a bad error message, but avoids coding - remove the due-date from the "create" screen for all issue types except "public inquiry", give "schedule" permission to logged in users only, and then make it mandatory. Anonymous users will get an ugly error message, but won't be able to create anything other than that issue type. I only did that while waiting for developers to give me a validator that works.

You can also play tricks with javascript, but they are quite easy to bypass if someone is determined to do so.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2013

You can't, technically. Jira allows anyone with "Create" to create any issue type.

There are workarounds of course. Writing or scripting a quick validator to check and reject entries based on issue type is one approach. Another one I've used in the past is a kludge with a bad error message, but avoids coding - remove the due-date from the "create" screen for all issue types except "public inquiry", give "schedule" permission to logged in users only, and then make it mandatory. Anonymous users will get an ugly error message, but won't be able to create anything other than that issue type. I only did that while waiting for developers to give me a validator that works.

You can also play tricks with javascript, but they are quite easy to bypass if someone is determined to do so.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2013

another way is by creating a project with only one issuetype and by adding the Anyone group to the Browse Project and Create Issue permissions in the permission scheme for the project

check this it will help you

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allowing+users+to+create+issues+anonymously

Michael King February 11, 2014

Which is useless, because creating issues apparently requires a reporter, even if you remove the field from the screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2014

No, you've made reporter mandatory (that is the default of course). You can make it optional - check the field configurations

Michael King February 13, 2014

Which is disturbingly difficult to find. Thanks for the tip.

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2013

Hi David

You could try using an issue collector, there is no other way to limit access to certain issue types in a project.

Some more information about issue collectors can be found here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+the+Issue+Collector

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer