How to allow a user to develop workflows without being a global administrator?

Daniel S November 1, 2012

Hi all,

We have several projects sharing the same JIRA project and I want to give the various project managers the ability to create their own workflows for their projects without having access to the other administration fuctions that a Global JIRA administrator has.

We are running JIRA v4.1.2#531.

Is this possible?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

Hi Sunny,

I don't think that is possible. You will need to look at JIRA global permissions. There are basically two levels which you should be looking at

1. JIRA system administrators

2. JIRA administrators

Take a look at the documentation available at

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

However, as an alternative, you can setup a development area where project managers have system administrator access. They can use it as a sandbox area where they create their workflows. They can then mail the xml to the system administrator of the production system who can apply the new workflow to their respective projects.

Daniel S November 1, 2012

Thanks Bhushan - I like the idea of giving them access in the dev environment...Will look to do that.

Cheers!

0 votes
Annicka Rosengren November 1, 2012

Do you have Greenhopper - If you have Greenhopper you could upgrade JIRA and the project administators can design their own boards with Greenhopper Simplified workflow.

Otherwise there is no way to give them access to only the workflow part. And they need to know what they do so they dont mess up for the other projects as well...

BR

Annicka

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2012

That's a good answer, but you'll need to check versions. I don't think the versions of Greenhopper that allow this work with the version of Jira you're on - you'd need to upgrade

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

This isn't possible. Due to how JIRA's designed, there are global customfields and a lot of other settings that are global. You will need to be a global Administrator.

Suggest an answer