How to allow Original Estimate field without allowing for Time Spent ?

Ivan Donigevich July 3, 2014

Hello,

Is there a possibility to only enable users to add Original Estimate without allowing for Time Spent?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2014

Remove the users ability to log work from the issues using the permission scheme.

Ivan Donigevich July 3, 2014

Nic, do you mean Work On Issues permission? Its removing makes all log work fields read only while Original Estimate should be editable.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2014

Ah, sorry, yes, I forgot that log-work controls the ability to enter an estimate as well.

Thing is, if you're not going to track the work done, what's the point in an estimate? I suppose you're just trying to simplify the create issue screen - you could do that with a entry field for just estimate that then gets copied into the original estimate when you commit the creation.

Ivan Donigevich July 4, 2014

Thank you, Nic. This workaround is worth trying but nonetheless is there a possibility to have Original Estimate editable while other time log fields are not?

The reason of it is that some users want to use only Original Estimate field while other want to use Tempo plugin and it will conflict with Time Spent data.

Ivan Donigevich July 6, 2014

Nic, I've tried to copy data to Original Estimate field but it's failed.

Since there is no custom entry field type of Time format, I used a text field as a source. I put there a simple number (without measure) as by default Original Estimate gets a number as hours. I got a message like data cannot be copied. I used Copy Value From Field to Field workflow post-function from JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2014

I'm afraid that won't work - copy field only really works when you are using fields of the same type. A text field field is a string, the original estimate is a number of seconds.

You'll need the script runner or a dedicated plugin to do that.

And isn't there a way to allow only Original Estimate field to input data while Time Spent would be read-only or hidden?

Nic, thank you, clarified.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2014

Not off-the-shelf, it's not really a useful downgrade.

Suggest an answer