How to allign the fields horizontally in JIRA ?

santosh-sahoo May 22, 2012

How to allign the fields horizontally in JIRA ?

We can move the fields up and down using the field configuration.

6 answers

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2012

When you have a long list of choices (30 to 40 checkboxes or radio buttons), going across makes more sense than going down. I have done it with just css changes in the 4.x releases. I have not tried in the 5.x releases when we now have javascript popup windows to worry about as well.

Are you trying to do all types of fields or just multiple choice type of fields?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2012

Then your requirements are probably broken. Looking like the previous issue tracker should not be a "must-have".

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2012

Or you can move things around with CSS and javascript. There have been plenty of questions about this previously. There is nothing that you could consider easy though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2012

Ohh, I dunno.

Moving a handful of fixed width fields around on-screen so that it meets requirements = easy (ish - assuming you know your way around html/css/javascript etc).

Making it work if you've got more than one Jira screen to amend, or you've got multiple field configurations, or you've got more than one browser client, or you've got people who dare to resize their browser. Then it gets horrid, quickly.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2012

Yeah... I'm wondering if I missed out a "not" somewhere! I was trying to say it's quite difficult to do it properly.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2012

Not to my mind, I read "not" in there with a decent explanation, and was trying to emphasise the "properly" part of it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2012

Not without hacking the core code that draws the screen (which isn't that hard to be fair)

You've got the major problem that fields are different widths, so you need to either fix them in place (which leaves holes if you've got project-related field configs) or come up with a complex set of rules on placing them so that they fit.

0 votes
santosh-sahoo May 22, 2012

Its actually one of the UI requirement we have, to make it in sync with the existing issue tracking tool. Is it really possible to do it ?

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2012

Fields are usually aligned vertically for a better GUI, Tabs can be helpful , I am curious to know why you need to allign fields horizontally.

Suggest an answer