How to add transition to detailed issue view?

TJ Baker May 5, 2014

Is it possible to add a transition link in the detailed issue view?

We have: Open, In Progress, and Workflow buttons, and I would like to add one for the Transition we created called Rejected.

This is a transition for going from Open to Closed.

Additinally, why is it that we can edit all of the Fields in this screen except Resolution? I am unable to find how we can mark an issue as Resolved with resolution of Rejected.

I've searched documentation, this forum and used google wiht every possible combination of words I could think of, to no avail.

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2014

To add a transition, edit the workflow. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow

The resolution thing is a bit more complex. In theory, you could just add the resolution to the "edit" screen, same as any other field, but, well, don't. It breaks.

Jira sees any issue that has a resolution set as done with/resolved/ended etc. So you only want to set a resolution at the end of an issue's lifecycle. This is typically related to the status, and most workflows will do something like "resolved or closed status = done, all other status = open". For those cases, you put the resolution on the screen that pops up when moving into resolved or closed. You also tend to clear the resolution when re-opendin the issue with a post-function.

However, if you were to put resolution on the edit screen, you run into a problem - when it's on a screen, it is set. You can't choose to empty/clear it, you end up setting it. So putting it on an edit screen breaks it (because when you edit an open issue, you don't want to set the resolution)

TJ Baker May 5, 2014

Thank you Nic. I actually got the transition added and it's accessible if we're using our rapid board.

I would just like to be able to transition some issues directly from the issue view rather than the rapid board.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2014

If you edit the issue, does the rejected workflow button show up probably under the workflow dropdown? The last time I checked, since you are using OnDemand, you cannot change number of buttons used for transitions. It is possible with the sef hosting though.

You can effect the order of the buttons which could bring the button closer to the top of the list. You use the opsbar-sequence property

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2014

I've little to add to what Norman said. Once you've added the transition, it will appear on the screen if it's one of the first two, or under the "workflow" dropdown if you've got 3 or more transitions from there.

TJ Baker May 5, 2014

Thank you both for your input.

When I Edit the issue I can see the Rejected in the Resolution select box ....

Still wish I could get it in Workflow menu item ... the less clicking the better.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2014

But it is there. The board will only allow you transitions that you can do from the issue view screen, so it is on the workflow items on the issue view

TJ Baker May 5, 2014

Perhaps I needed some hard refresh of the browser, or something, for it to show. I promise it was not present when I was writing asking how to make it show up :p

It's there now, though!

Thank you again for your input, and time. I appreciate it.

tj

0 votes
TJ Baker May 5, 2014

Well, both, actually :)

If we could have a Rejected button that set the issues to Resolved as Rejected that would be awesome.

But if it's an opition to have Rejected in the Workflow button options that would be fine, too.

The goal is to be able to Resolve certain issues as Rejected.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2014

Are you asking for more buttons on the screen or is it that your rejected transition is not showing up under the workflow list?

Suggest an answer