How to add time estimates to Issues/Epics/Stories, etc

Greetings Folks,

I am evaluating JIRA and JIRA Agile for our team so therefore these questions may be obvious to seasoned pros using these products.  Please bear with me as I learn these products!  

First, Do I need the Agile component if I want to manage projects and track issues?

I think I am missing something but I can not find where to add time estimates to any of the items in JIRA.  I have looked in the KanBan boards, the Scrum boards, under Epics, Issues, Stories,etc and I do not see any fields that lets me assign a time estimate to any of these items.  Do I need to enable something?  Or perhaps open some popup or add a field somewhere?  

Please advise and any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed

4 answers

With the plugin "Epic Sum Up" you have some nice time features:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.epicSumUp
Hope it helps you!

0 vote

Hi Ed,

No, with JIRA itself you'll be able to manage your projects and issues. The Agile plugin will allow you to get your tickets in Boards (scrum or kanban).

First, you need to check which estimation your board is configured to. You can check it accessing the Board > Configure > Estimation.

To configure the estimation on the issues, you should see the Estimate fields when editing the issue.

Hi Guys,

I still can not find where to put estimates in issues.  I have added the following screenshots to let you know what I am seeing.  Please let me know what I am missing.

I did add the estimations in Board,Estimation, I added Original Time Estimate and Remaining Estimate and Time Spent.

Thanks,

Ed

atlasian1.jpg

atlasian2.jpg

Hi Guys,

I figured it out.  Of course it was easy.  I clicked on the backlog and then clicked the link next to the key and a screen I haven't seen yet popped up and viola there it was.  Thanks for the assistance!

Take Care,

Ed

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

233 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you