How to add the field while moving ticket from one issue type to another

Najmul Khan May 6, 2014

Hi,

I want to add the field while moving the ticket from one issue type to another within the same project.

Regards,

Najmul

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2014

You can't. Moving issues is moving issues, not editing them. You'll need to write your own move-and-update-arbitrary-field functionality

Najmul Khan May 6, 2014

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your answer,
My requirement is some thing like, I am moving ticket from one issue type to another within a same project.
But the second issue type having some fields which is important for the ticket, So when I am going to move the ticket from one issue type to the second one I am not getting a chance to fill the data into those field.

Please share your valuable comment on the same and some alternative way to achieve this thing

Regards,
Najmul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2014

Ah, that should be possible. On reason "move" is so complex is that Jira checks that the old and new data are valid and compatible, and it will ask the user for new data if it needs it (and warn them about old stuff it's going to drop)

If you make those fields mandatory on the target issue type, Jira will demand the user enters them when you use "move to that issue type"

Najmul Khan May 6, 2014

Sounds good, Let me try the same

Many thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2014

Oops, sorry. This should work, BUT, it makes the fields mandatory for that issue type all the way through. So...

You need to make sure mandatory fields are on the "Create" screen for that issue type

Your users will find themselves unable to commit edits or transitions on existing issues that are missing the fields until they fill them in.

Najmul Khan May 7, 2014

Hi Nic,

Many thanks, But its not worked for me,

Is there any way to fire any groovy code or behavioural code between the steps of moving ticket. If I found the place of writing the code then I will write a code as per my requirement.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2014

No, you can't run anything during a move operation, you'll need to write your own from scratch. Which is hard because you'll find you need to do all the checks that the current move function needs to do or you'll damage the issue data.

What did not work by the way?

Najmul Khan May 7, 2014

Hi nic,

Ohh so sad!

Actually, I have three fields on the create issue form one as dropdown and two as text field, These text field is readonly and getting the appropriate value on the selection of the dropdown value and the dropdown is a mandatory field.
So, when the ticket is going to move the dropdown is getting displayed on the move issue form but after selecting the value of the dropdown the text field is not coming and finally when we moved the ticket got the mandatory field on the ticket but we loose that two textfield, which is valuable for a ticket.
If I am going to make that two text field mandatory so while creating the normal ticket I am getting an error like please fill the mandatory field, which is not possible because the field is read only.

If you have any solution for the same then please share, My work is stuck here.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2014

I'm a little muddled up here, it's not clear what fields you've got or how you're populating the read only one(s)?

I do have an idea of something that might help, but I'm stuck because I don't understand your field setup.

Najmul Khan September 14, 2014

Hi Nic, Sorry for late reply, Actually I am getting the value in the text field by selecting the value from dropdown and I achieve this feature with the help of behavioural plugin. I written a code to achieve this in Behaviours, So may I write some thing in the Behaviour to get my requirement ? Regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2014

Yes, that's where I was going. You had not mentioned it before, and that's confusing me.

Najmul Khan September 14, 2014

Hmm, So do we have any answer for my query ? Regards

Najmul Khan September 15, 2014

Hi Nic, Any update on the issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2014

Um, you've already done it in behaviours. I'm not sure what you're looking for now.

Najmul Khan September 15, 2014

I have not did the same feature "On the selection of the dropdown value the text fields get the value" with one Issue type (A) and I want to move a ticket from this Issue type to move in other Issue type (B) whose having this feature. Problem: So in that case after moving a ticket from A to B, B Issue type dont have such fields . Requirement: I want that fields should have to be come after moving from A to B. Hope so it will clear to you, If you any solution then please let me know.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2014

Ah, I see, sorry. Same answer as before - you are going to need to write your own "move issue" code.

Suggest an answer