How to add new permission to JIRA

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2013

Hi

Would like to have a new permission in one of our JIRA permission schemes. This is apart from JIRA's default permissions like 'Create Issue', ' Edit Issue' etc.

Is there a way or work around ?

Thanks, Vishnu

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2013

No, apart from adding is via a plugin, I suppose.

But I would like to ask you, what is that you want to achieve. Just adding a new permission will not help, it has to be utilized by some part of the code. So if you can explain what you are looking it, it will help.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2013

Hi Renjith,

Happy New Year !!!.

My requirement is to limit the creation of an Issue Type to specific users. So, if I can make to have a new permission like 'create this issue', will use this permission while creating such issue type.

Hope I am clear.

Regards, Vishnu

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2013

Same to you Vishnu.

See, even if you create a new permission in a plugin (I don't know whether this is possible), the core JIRA code should use it while creating a new Issue Type, right?

Are you also planning to change the core JIRA code?

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 1, 2013

Nop, I am not planning to change any code. For Eg, I have some read-only issue types. I made it read-only by editing the 'Create' issue step condition. It used to have a condition like Only Users with 'Create Issue' permission can create this issue type. I edited this to, only users with 'Delete Issues' permission can create such issues. And as per my permission scheme no one can delete issues.

So, would be able to appy same logic if I have a customized permission.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2013

Ah ok, I got it. But it is not possible to add additional permissions. I guess not even in plugins (there are no plugin points for that I guess).

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2013

Got it.

Thanks for your help Renjith.

Axel Kuebler September 25, 2017

Same here:
I want e.g. Testers only to be able to create bugs / change requests BUT NO OTHER ISSUES

Suggest an answer