How to add epic name to mail notification?

Stas Leontyev March 10, 2015

Hi there.

I receive issues mail notifications without epic name included. Is it possible to add epic name to my mail notification? (With html, I guess)

Thank you.

3 answers

0 votes
Will December 7, 2015

Stas,

I was able to add the epic name to e-mails by modifying the templates which does require server access.  Additionally, this article explains how to configure JIRA to avoid the necessity of restarting to make the changes take effect during testing, https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/jira-architecture/jira-templates-and-jsps/adding-custom-fields-to-email.  One thing I did was to create a custom.vm file that puts the custom information in the e-mail, see the code below.  I stored the custom.vm file in the 'includes' directory then I modified my other templates to parse this file, e.g. #parse("templates/email/includes/custom.vm").  This allows me to make changes in one place and I can insert the parse directive where ever I want the information to appear.  I am using the text templates so this is fairly simple but the e-mail formatting can be tedious.  I also modified the subject template, e.g. 'issuementioned.vm', in the 'subject' directory to include the epic name in the subject, see the second code block.  The code displayed here is wrapped but when you place it in the subject template it must all be on a single line immediately following the "#disable_html_escaping()" directive.

I hope this helps.

If you find this helpful accepting this as an answer would be appreciated.

custom.vm

## Add Custom Information to the e-mail notice
    Custom Information:
    #dashes($!issue.getSummary())
    Project: $issue.getProject().name
#if ($issue.getSummary()) ##
    Issue Summary: $issue.getSummary()
#end
#if ($issue.getDescription()) ##
    Issue Description : $issue.getDescription()
#end
#set ($issueType = $issue.getIssueTypeObject().name)
#if ($issueType == "Epic")
    #if ($issue.getCustomFieldValue($customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_10011")))
##
        Customer: $issue.getCustomFieldValue($customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_10011"))
    #end
##
    Linked Issue Info (tasks in epic): ##
    #end
    #foreach ($outlink in $outlinks)
##
    Linked Issue (key-name): $outlink.destinationObject.key - $outlink.destinationObject.summary ##
    #end
#else
    #if ($issue.isSubTask())
        #set ($issueParent = $issue.getParentObject())
        Parent issue: $issueParent.getKey() - $issueParent.getSummary()
        #set( $epicCF = $customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_10006") )
        #set( $epicKey = $issueParent.getCustomFieldValue($epicCF))
        #set( $epicDisplayName = $epicCF.getCustomFieldType().getEpicDisplayName($epicKey))
    #else
        Issue: $issue.key - $issue.summary
        #set( $epicCF = $customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_10006") )
        #set( $epicKey = $issue.getCustomFieldValue($epicCF))
        #set( $epicDisplayName = $epicCF.getCustomFieldType().getEpicDisplayName($epicKey))
    #end
    Issue Epic Key: $epicKey
    Issue Epic Name: $epicDisplayName ##
#end
    #dashes($!issue.getSummary())

Subject Line Code:

$issue.getKey(): $issue.getSummary() -#if 
($issue.getIssueTypeObject().name == "Task") #set( $epicCF = 
$customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_10999")) #set( 
$epicKey = $issue.getCustomFieldValue($epicCF)) 
$epicCF.getCustomFieldType().getEpicDisplayName($epicKey) -#end 
#if($issue.isSubTask()) #set ($issueParent = $issue.getParentObject()) 
#set( $epicCF = 
$customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_10999")) #set( 
$epicKey = $issueParent.getCustomFieldValue($epicCF)) 
$epicCF.getCustomFieldType().getEpicDisplayName($epicKey) -#end 
#if($remoteUser)${remoteUser.displayName}#else$i18n.getText("common.words.anonymous")#end
 $i18n.getText("jira.mentions.mentioned.you") (JIRA)

Related Questions:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/9383925

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/243757

0 votes
SanaS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2015

There are two ways to do it: Modify the JIRA email templates, which requires server access and knowledge of velocity, or you can use an addon and customize your notifications in the JIRA interface. 

I would recommend Notification Assistant for a light-weight easy to use add-on, see: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.notificationassistant

Or if you want a more comprehensive control over everything mailrelated, check out JEMH:

https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/JEMH+Home.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2015

Suggest an answer