How to add defalut attachments to JIRA

Prateek Porwal January 31, 2013

HI There -

I want to know, is there any way where i can define an attachment for eg a .xls file to be added to EVERY JIRA which anyone created in my project. So, when ever a person creates a JIRA in my project he should have a predefined .xls file attached to the JIRA by defalut.

The reason i want to do this is : I am attaching a checklist in the JIRA just to ensure that everyone fills it. This check list contains points like:

1> did you add the code review to the JIRA

2> Did you add your unit test cases et.all

Thanks

Prateek

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kerem Caglar [Solveka]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2013

Why don't you define this checklist on issue create screen in JIRA. For example, you can add a separate tab on the JIRA issue create screen and set all of the checklist fields as mandatory.

I am not very much well versed with JIRA can you let me know how can I add a seperate tab in the JIRA issue create screen ?

Secondly, I dont know if i can make these columns mandatory the reason being, these things will come once the person is going to mark the JIRA as resolved.

But never the less, please let me know how can I add the seperate tab and i will see if i can do somthing there.

Thanks for your help on this

Prateek

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2013

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Screen and look for the section on "configuring a screen's fields and tabs"

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2013

And Prateek, I would really recommend to do what Kerem said. It looks tragic to use an Excel attachment with a checklist while you are using JIRA which is so highly configurable.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2013

That's a very good point - from the technical side, you're divorcing your data into two independent parts - Jira and excel, you won't be able to use the stuff in excel, report on it, or search for it easily.

On the human side, the data in excel won't be useful - many of them won't bother to fill it in, and complain about having to open up excel to make simple changes. It's static and they won't be able to search it.

You'll end up with vast swathes of half-filled, or even pointlessly empty Excel files littering up Jira's file system, with no use for the vast majority of them.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2013

Nicely said, Nic.

0 votes
Prateek Porwal February 5, 2013

Kerem - Thanks for the solution which you have given and Nic for making it more understandable, As per company policy we cannot do this on our own so i have raised a request to get it done hopefully i should be able to do it in next 4 days.

I am yet to see the out put but it seems it will definately help us.

I woul really like to thank you all for this ....

Thanks

Prateek

0 votes
dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2013

I dont think this is possible in JIRA. What you can do is that you can apply some HTML links to a custom field's Description. In those HTML links, you link them to the attachment download. So they can just click on the link, and the file download will start. Much like a normal attachment, only that the file is hosted somewhere else, and is linked to JIRA via the HTML in the custom field description.

Daniel - at first the solution provided by Kerem seems to be easy in implementation. Let me try that first. If i am not successfull in that,i will come to you. Thanks for your response. :)

Suggest an answer