How to add column to issue grid, with lot of custom columns

svjatpro October 3, 2016

Hi

( JIRA v6.4.13 )

I want to add standard "Status" column to my issue browser grid,

but there are a lot of custom fields containing "status",

so when I type "status" in search input, then I can't get it, see in screenshot

ColumnConfiguration.PNG

Could you help me with other ways to do it?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2016

We faced a similar problem:  Localization uses about 30 "XX status" fields (use a lang code instead of XX). We use issues to trace localization jobs, and depending on the product involved and which regions it is for, an issue may list three or five or 25 language statuses.

... then someone deleted the vanilla "Status" column from their filter results, and came running to us in a panic because it is impossible to get the Status to show up again (since JIRA only showed 25 language specific custom fields, but not the normal Status one).

I even contacted Atlassian Support about this ... and then I noticed the "Restore Defaults" link at the very top of the list.

== to get the Status column back:
1 open the filter
2 click "Columns"
3 Click "Restore Defaults".  NOTE: "Restore Defaults" becomes invisible as soon as you enter search text, which makes this part of the UI even more confusing.

Unbenannt.png

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2016

Does the scroll bar in the drop-down not show you the full list of results?

svjatpro October 3, 2016

No, it shows just top ~25

see it screenshot

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2016

Mmm, it should still appear in the "system fields" section at the top of the list.  I'd also say that having 25 other status fields implies a set of broken processes.

The best I can do without code is suggest that you add some of the duff status fields - as you add them, they'll be removed from the drop down.  Do enough of them and the system status should fall into the 25, then you can remove the ones you don't want.  Not ideal, but you do have too many status fields...

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2016

If the user has multliple "XX Status" fields, and the JIRA "Status" was removed from a filter, and the user types "status" into the columns search box, JIRA gives an alphabetical list of all fields with "status" in them. Unfortunately, "Status" is then hidden underneath AE, AU, BG, CN, DE, ES ... status.

When I click "System", I just get a warning message that sounds like I'm about to do something dangerous ("You are on System Mode. The column changes might affect all users. Exit System Mode.")

Deleting the search text, then clicking "restore defaults", fixed it for us. 

I was also going to rename 50+ fields to no longer contain the term "status", but was stopped because that would have broken every single filter ever made by all of our translators and localization managers ... 

Suggest an answer