How to add an epic link to a closed issue

Alex van Zanten January 11, 2018

For reporting purposes I need to link closed issues (stories) to epics. The closed issues are part of an already closed sprint. The issues (stories) and epics are separated in two different projects. So our 'team'-project contains all the stories and we use a 'program'-project for our epics.

After closing our sprint, I noticed the missing epic links in our 'team'-project.

Is it possible to add the epic links to our stories afterwards without disturbing the information of our current sprint and closed sprint?
And what is the best way to proceed?

Best regards, Alex.

2 answers

0 votes
daniel.schmidt@provisur.com August 12, 2021

0 votes
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2018

Hey Alex,

It is possible to add Epic links to your closed Stories, and it shouldn't have too much of an impact.

Just adding an Epic link won't change anything on you current or closed Sprints.

It may have some impact if you are using Epic reports or Portfolio, but it should be minimal since the work you are adding to the Epic is closed.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Alex van Zanten January 11, 2018

I am very pleased to here linking is possible. What is the best way to apply a link for the closed story? I haven't been able to succeed sofar?

Like Lea Böhm likes this
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2018

Hey Alex,

You can do it a couple of ways:

Add the "Epic Link" field to you screens and then manually add it in

If you have a larger number of stories that need to be linked to the same Epic write a JQL filter to capture them and then apply a bulk change.

Tyler

Alex van Zanten January 15, 2018

We already show/use the Epic Link field on our screens. Since the story (issue) is closed, the only way I know to alter the Epic link for a story is by reopening the story. Is this correct?
It is possible to link a closed story-issue to another epic-issue, but that is another type of link.

By reopening a story resolution information will be lost (can be saved in advance). But will reopening the issue affect the reporting on the closed Sprint as well? 
(it only concerns 5 stories so I will do the alteration manually). 

Reopening the Sprint is no option, this results in loosing to much information.

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2018

You should be able to edit the Epic link regardless of the status of the Story, however you may have some permission set up where it is only editable when the Story is open.

If you do have to reopen the stories there will be a slight impact on your reporting, but it should all even out as you will be re-closing the stories afterwards.

Brian Schussler October 9, 2019

I have the same problem, I need to add Epic Links to some closed stories that are in closed sprints.

When a story's Epic Link field is blank, the field isn't visible on the "View Issue" and "Detail View" pages.

On the "List View"  I can display the Epic Link column, but it's not editable when the field is blank.

My organization is using a minor change to the Default Scrum screens. 

Basically there appears to be no way to edit the Epic Link field when its blank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Muhammad Asif Amin February 20, 2020

Hi Brian,

There is one way i am using currently. Which is if you go to the reports in your projects

Click on the Sprint Report.  Scroll Down and select the closed sprint. you will see all the tasks closed in the select Sprint. You can click on each task and add Epic to it accordingly. This is a bit lengthy process though.  

Jamie Zeidler February 28, 2021

Same as Brian. I need to reopen an issue to add an epic, which is a pain. 

@Tyler Brown do you know of such permission? I couldn't see any permissions related to this.

Cheers

daniel.schmidt@provisur.com August 12, 2021

Hi 

Any updates on this issue?

Same as Brian. I need to reopen an issue to add an epic, which is a pain. 

We have a lot of automated workflows in the background. 

This issue is now really a blocker for us.

BR

Daniel

Suggest an answer