How to add an Attachment to a bug

Mark Rushton November 22, 2015

I'm a new user of Jira, trying out the trial version.  I'm using the default Scrum option.

When I open a bug, I do not have the ability to add an Attachment.

I've gone through Help and none of the instructions are concise on how this addition can be achieved.  Some of the answers I've seen refer to menu options that aren't visible to me.

This seems like a simple addition, but I cannot get it to occur in my Admin or Project view.

2 answers

1 vote
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2015

Hi Mark, 

in addition you may check, if you have permission to add attachments. 

Therefore as admin you can check the permission schemes of you projects at:

https://jira.youdomain.tld/secure/admin/ViewPermissionSchemes.jspa

The permission to check at specific schemes is "create attachments".

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Mario

0 votes
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2015

Short answer: You need to add the Attachments field (which is a system field) to the "Create Issue" screen for the Bug issue type in the relevant project.

Long answer:

1. Go to JIRA -> Administration -> Issues -> Issue Type Screen Schemes.
  2. Find where your project's name appears on that page and find the Issue Type Screen Scheme associated with it.
  3. Click on the name of the Issue Type Screen Scheme.
  4. The next page should display the mapping between Issue Types and Screen Schemes.  If the Bug issue type is mentioned, click on the Screen Scheme associated with it.  If the Bug issue type is NOT mentioned, click on the Screen Scheme associated with "Default"
  5. You should now be looking at the Screen Scheme associated with Bugs in your project.  If the "Create Issue" operation is explicitly mentioned, click on the Screen associated with it.  If the "Create Issue" operations is NOT mentioned, click on the Screen associated with "Default".
  6. You should now have found the screen associated with the "Create" operation for Bugs in your project.  Add the Attachment field to this screen.

Suggest an answer