How to add a table in JIRA Issue description part ?

Neil Zhang December 4, 2013

I want to add tables in my issue description part .

I know use

||heading 1||heading 2||heading 3||
|col A1|col A2|col A3|
|col B1|col B2|col B3|

to add.

However it is tedious to users .

Is there any tools to allow users paste table in the description part?

Looking forward to your reply!

7 answers

15 votes
Ralf Becker March 31, 2019

Hm, isn't there a simpler solution than adding a plugin for every little feature? With a bunch of plugins for this and that it's not only getting costly, it's also geting complex to maintain.
Annoying... 

phil_harper June 14, 2019

Completely agree, table editor feature should really be standard these days

Like # people like this
Brooke August 2, 2019

I feel your pain

Like # people like this
8 votes
Ihor Uksta February 23, 2018

You can try Table Grid Editor plugin. This is much more flexible than just a table structure inside an issue description. You can prepopulate data for a table, use different column types, make any type of formula calculations, use aggregation functions for columns. It's fully compatible with JQL search as well. For server version, it's also possible to configure database connections and use data from your own DB inside your table. And much more... Just check this out

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=table%20grid%20editor

6 votes
Grant Pitel May 15, 2019

I agree with @Ralf Becker . A table editor is a basic feature that is pretty much expected these days.  Especially on a polished product I am paying for.

2 votes
Daniel East January 11, 2020

Copy a written table from Confluence to the Jira ticket.

0 votes
Mike Reider July 29, 2022

I did it like this w/o any plugin, the table has to be inserted after the ticket is created, no way to do it from Issue Type configuration,

using Jira Next Gen project, create Automation rule (trigger: new ticket created, edited, etc)

heres what rule looks like, Im inserting a Markup table into the Description field

you can see the final result on the ticket once the automation runs,

heres the markdown for the table in this example,

h2. please fill out the table below so the request can get started:

||*Requirement*||*Answer*||
|*Technical Contact* - refers the client Networking contact, include Name/Email Address and phone number |_Enter information from client here_|
|*Client Approval* - refers the person on client side who approves the request |_Enter information from client here_|

ksnip_20220729-112457.pngksnip_20220729-112459.png

0 votes
Prashant Shah February 24, 2021

I found one hack, Instead of adding table while creating story, you should create story with basic description and once story created you can edit description and copy paste table into description part easily.

Tracy Walker May 14, 2021

thank-you for this hack - works brillantly

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2013

Suggest an answer