How to add a missing status in board?

A August 9, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring columns

Hi everyone.

I am included in the "Administrators" role of the project. But I am not able to see the "add status" button in the board. Other status used in the workflow are also not showing in the columns nor in the unmapped statuses.

Has someone encountered this? May I know how it was resolved.

We are using 7.0 version of jira.

7 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2016

The "add status" button will only appear if your workflow for the board has been "simplified".  If it is not a simplified workflow, then the status within the workflow(s) can only be amended by your administrators.

You'll need to ask them to amend the workflow, or simplify it for your board.

A August 9, 2016

Thanks Nic. Let me add more description to the scenario.

We are not using simplified workflow. The missing statuses that we need to map come from workflows used by the sub-tasks of user stories. User stories use a separate workflow, different from the sub-task.

Should the statuses from sub-tasks be showing also in the board? Or it is a normal behavior that the board will only reflect statuses from user stories?

Like Milica Jankovic likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2016

Ah, ok.  Status display is not automatic, you have to map them.  In theory, JIRA should look at your filter for the board, pick up all the projects and issue types, scan all of their workflows and dump all the status into the list of possible status for the board, and then show them all in the "configure board" section.  You can then add/remove/rearrange your columns and put the right status into them.  So all available status for all included issue types should be either in a column or in the "unmapped" section.

I find this fails sometimes when a board filter is changed.  Re-editing it seems to help - add a project with similar or related workflows (i.e. add "project = xxx OR ..." to the beginning of the filter), go to configure columns, do nothing, then go back to the filter and remove the extra project.  Then the status list usually seems to be whole again.

Like # people like this
A August 10, 2016

Thanks Nic, will try the workaroud. smile

Petros Chariskos September 11, 2018

Thanks, removing the extra projects did the trick for me. Then re-adding the extra projects kept any new column and/or new status I had added.

2 votes
Gaetano Anela December 15, 2020

Hi - This answer only pertains to this part of the original issue...

Other status used in the workflow are also not showing in the columns nor in the unmapped statuses.

We had a user complain about this today. I tried addressing it using Nic's suggestion (posted below), but had no luck with it.

Re-editing it seems to help - add a project with similar or related workflows (i.e. add "project = xxx OR ..." to the beginning of the filter), go to configure columns, do nothing, then go back to the filter and remove the extra project.  Then the status list usually seems to be whole again.

After some further troubleshooting, I was able to address this by explicitly adding the Issue Types to the Filter JQL (See examples below). 

ORIGINAL FILTER JQL (Did NOT work):

project in ("Project ABC","Project XYZ") AND "Assigned Team" in ("A Team", "B Team") ORDER BY Rank ASC

NEW FILTER JQL (Works):

project in ("Project ABC","Project XYZ") AND type in (Bug,Story,Task,Sub-task) AND "Assigned Team" in ("A Team", "B Team") ORDER BY Rank ASC

Definitely seem like a bug. Anyhow, thought I'd post this in case it helps someone else. :) ...Cheers!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2020

It's shifted a bit since I posted that answer 4 years ago (for Jira 7.low number), I think this is a really good answer for more recent versions (7.higher number and 8.all)

Like Gaetano Anela likes this
2 votes
Profit August 5, 2019

I've added "Administrators" role and followed all the steps and I've I'm using simplified workflow but still "Add status" is not activated, please help me to solve this issue. Thanks in advance

Anton_D_ March 4, 2020

I have the same problem. Is there any solution?

Anh Nguyen June 15, 2021

The filter of your board includes two or more projects.  That cause this error.  In other words, if your board's filter uses only 1 project (refers to Simplified Workflow) then the Add Status button will be available.  Check with board administrator to see the reason why s/he needs to refer to two projects.  You can also see missing few button (eg, issues, components, release...) after selecting "Back to board".

0 votes
Dmitrii Aldunin February 2, 2021

Hi there! To resolve this you need to explicitly add the issue type having this status into board's filter.

E.g., you have status "UI Review" in workflow of issue type "Design Task", and do not see it in your board. You probably have filter like

project in (FOO, BAR) AND (issuetype = Documentation OR labels = documentation) ORDER BY Rank ASC

You need to change it to:

project in (FOO, BAR) AND (issuetype = Documentation OR labels = documentation OR (issuetype = "Design Task" AND labels = documentation)) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Yes, looks not so cool, but it doesn't change filter's result, and adds desired status to your board configuration. 

0 votes
Úmnewa Brett Somers May 17, 2020

This happened to me twice today when creating new projects.  When I just deleted the project and tried the exact same path again.  Associate work flow->Board settings-> the Add Status button appeared.  I'm an administrator so it's not an administrator issue.  It seems to be a bug.  

0 votes
Guillermo Marqueta April 5, 2019

Just in case it is useful for anyone, I explain my case.

After changing status and adding new ones, I could not change issues to some of the new statuses.

I had to duplicate the workflow of the project and ensure the transitions of the new status names are pointing to the updated new status names.  They don't change automatically.

It was not that evident for me...

0 votes
Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2018

Looks like this is still broken: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-11623

Suggest an answer