How to add a field in mutiple tabs on one screen?

Jayant Bhoge November 5, 2014

I have to add 3 Tabs on the issue creation screen which will have one date & list filed common for all of them.

Is it possible to create only one date field & list and configure it for 3 tabs? Or Do I need to create seperate fileds for each tab?

I am using JIRA 5.2 version

Please guide.

4 answers

2 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

It is only possible to have a field on one tab.

Btw, date fields will be displayed under the dates section. (Edit in View screen) 

0 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2014

I have to add 3 Tabs on the issue creation screen which will have one date & list filed common for all of them.

@Jayant Bhoge,

It sounds as if the customer requirement here is to ensure that there's visibility on that particular field regardless of where the issue creator is in the create process. What is it that the customer wants to accomplish that has them convinced a single field must appear on each tab when creating an issue? 

Is there some aspect to the requirement that we're missing? Normally, JIRA users highlight important data using a single version of a field in three places: on create, edit and view issue screens and not on 3 places in a single screen. Of the three approaches mentioned,  the View issue page is probably the more prevalent way to get visibility and insight into issue status or other key information about a ticket.

I'm just wondering if there is some other way to provide the visibility they want AND follow best practice. Putting the same field on 3 tabs would not be first on my list of ways to do this, however. In fact, it wouldn't even make the list.

A better approach, I think, would be to train end users so that they understand where to go to get the single source of truth. Perhaps, as others have suggested, you can solve this "people problem" via training, rather than a kludgey technical implementation that won't scale. Don't put 3 of the same fields on a single create issue screen. If you must, you could put a description/inline dialog or some other messaging field on the add'l tabs to emphasize an important item. But even that seems like overkill since you could just as easily click on the first tab to get the information in the first place. Hard to say without full context.

0 votes

Yes but client requirement is they want same filed to be be added on each Tab on the same screen. sad

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2014

The tabs are there to allow logical grouping of data. It is still treated as one screen. You'll need to create 3 fields with different names. I suggest prefixing the name with the tab name to logically link them together.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

Then tell the client that the fullfillment of this requirement is not possible. Tell him about the disadvantages (no user friendliness, no user acceptance with using different tabs on create screens).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2014

To support what Joe and Udo are saying here - the user requirement is broken. What happens when you enable this sort of thing is a user puts data into the field in tab A, then massively fails to understand that it's the same on tab B, and changes it (assuming you've auto populated it from the first tab) or puts something different in (if you've simply left it blank). Then they complain one of their dates has gone missing. In real life, it's a really bad idea. Tell them it can't be done, and it shouldn't be done either, for good reasons.

0 votes

Can't I add the same filed on another Tab instead of creating new one?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2014

No you can't add the same field to different tabs. Also on create screen it is not user-friendly to use different tabs since the users will have to click through those tabs.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2014

No. JIRA treats all the tabs as the same screen. So you are actually adding the field 3 times to the same screen.

Suggest an answer