How to add a custom field to the issue view (like details, description, activity)

Lior Pesoa December 27, 2014

Hi,

I've created a custom field and i wish to add it to the issue view as a header, like details, description and activity.

NOT as a field under details.

Do you know how ? or is there any plugin which can help me ?

ThanksScreen Shot 2014-12-28 at 12.50.07 PM.png

8 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2014

Ferenc is correct - the issue view screen is effectively divided into two parts - one where all the "system" fields are placed and then a section devoted to custom fields.  JIRA has no way of knowing where you might feel like placing completely arbitrary custom fields so it keeps them all in one section.

Within that section, you can place them in any order, and you can use tabs.  The layout of that area is drawn from the "screen" you are using for issue view.  So, let's say you copied the "default screen", added tabs and fields, you would then need to place it in an "issue type screen scheme" to say "use my new screen for issue view", associate that with the issue type and project, and you'll get that view on the issue view.  But it will still only cover your custom fields, system fields will be placed in the main header.

The only way to re-arrange this is with code - either hacking the core display code, or botching some form of field re-arrangement in with javascript.

Lior Pesoa December 28, 2014

Hi,

But still all the custom fields will be displayed under 'Details' there is no option to create a new section like 'Details', 'Description' and 'Activity', unless i code it.

Is that right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2014

Yes, that's what Ferenc and I are saying.

1 vote
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2014

I don't think that it is possible.

What you can do is adding multiple tabs to the Details section, adding your custom field to the first of those tabs, also naming the tab the same as your custom field, so that it gets a little more "visual weight" (if this is your primary goal).

Manfred Dessel December 29, 2014

Hi,

I'd created tabs on a customized screen. When I push th create-Button,then I can see the tabs.

When I open the Issue-screen afterwards, there's only a screen without tabs. The same effect is on the edit-screen.

Greetings

Manfred

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2014

My guess is that: For a "create" screen, you are using your customised screen For the "edit" screen, you are using a different screen, which you have not added tabs to For a "view" screen you have fields on the tabs that have no data, AND/OR you are using a different screen, which you have not added tabs to Have a look at the "issue type screen scheme" to establish what screens are in use

Lior Pesoa December 29, 2014

Manfred, please notice, like i said, the custom fields from inside the tabs will appear under the 'Details' field in the issue view

0 votes
Atul Patil July 25, 2018

https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/creating-a-custom-field-in-jira/

I think if you follow this tutorial you will get the route to reach your desired results

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2014
0 votes
Lior Pesoa December 29, 2014

Thanks for the help!

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2014

Hi Lior,

Not sure how helpful this would be to you, but this page explains how to rename system fields in JIRA: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Renaming+System+Fields+in+JIRA

If you have any that you don't use, you might change it to the field that you wish to use? 

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2014

Nov, can custom sections be added with a plugin these days?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2014

Nic that is. Autocorrect again

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2014

;-) Not that I can find. You can still insert tabs of course, but hacking around with the core code is the only way I can find to move a custom field into the panels or get a new panel in place. I may be behind - I've not really tried it since 6.2

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2014

Web Panel plugin module might do it? https://developer.atlassian.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/4227182 I see that zephyr plugin has one

0 votes
Lior Pesoa December 28, 2014

Thanks for the answer.

I am not sure what you mean by adding it to the Details section.

How do i add multiple tabs to this section?

I know how to configure the 'Default screen' and add tabs to it, but it doesn't add tabs inside the Issue View.

Suggest an answer