How to add - Resolve Issue status to new workflow?

Tudor Hofnar March 5, 2014

I created a new workflow in JIRA with an extra step, I need a user to be able to drag an issue from this step (in JIRA Agile) to the Resolve step and resolve the issue.

The problem I am seeing is that when the issue is dragged from the new step to Resolved it does not cross the issue ID out, it does resolve the issue but its resolution is "Unresolved".

On the workflow for my new step I added a new transition called Resolve Issue, however, it is clearly not the same as the Resolve Issue that the other steps are using. The one the other steps are using is Italic and has (5) after it, my new one has (771).

How can I use the JIRA Resolve Issue transition? So that the issue is properly resolved.

Thank you!

Tudor

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2014

When you add a new transition, do you notice the Transition View field? Simply select the default Resolve Issue Screen and then you will see the same effect. Since this is a custom transition, it may have the same name but a different ID from the system's Resolve Issue transition.

If you don't want to use screens, then post-functions are the best choice.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2014

You don't need to (re)use any specific transition really. You need to run through your workflow and work out what transitions should SET the strikeout and which should REMOVE it.

For example, Open -> resolved, Open -> closed, In progress -> resolved - these should always set it. Resolved -> Open or Closed -> Open should clear it. But open -> In progress and resolved -> closed should not touch it.

Once you've decided on these, you have three things to do. For all the REMOVE transitions, put a post-function on them that "sets issue field" and set "resolution" to "none". For the SET transitions, you can use the same function to set the value to something else OR you can take the user through a screen that includes the resolution field, which will set it.

The bottom line is that your strikeout is saying "resolution is set"...

Suggest an answer