How to add Open button option to Jira story so that will not Open automatially after creation?

Yana N October 4, 2015

As per Current configuration of JIRA: a  Story goes into 'In Progress' status immediately after I hit create button.

My expectation is:

It will be created in Pending status and stay in Backlog

I should have ability to assign it to current Sprint/ iteration (based on type of project)   and then Open it manually by pressing 'Open' button

At this moment I do not have this button at all.

2 answers

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2015

Trying to dissect your question one by one.

How to add Open button option to Jira story so that will not Open automatically after creation?
  • In the JIRA Administration > Issues >  Issue Attributes > Statuses page, you must create the transition "Status" first in order for it to appear in the choices of statuses. Create the status you like here. Then in your workflow, you can just add a transition named "Open" which will transition to your desired status. If you are using the JIRA Simple Workflow, adding a status is just simply clicking the "Add Status" button in the Boards Configuration > Columns page.

My expectation is:

It will be created in Pending status and stay in Backlog

• Follow Nic's suggestion above. In the "Create" transition, map it to the status that you like.

I should have ability to assign it to current Sprint/ iteration (based on type of project)   and then Open it manually by pressing 'Open' button

• Issues will only appear in a board depending on what is configured in the Boards Configuration > Columns page. Checkout what statuses they are, remove the initial transition that you like so that they won't appear in your board immediately.
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2015

You have set up your workflow to have "in progress" as the landing status for the "create" transition.

All you need to do is edit the workflow and change the landing point to land it in "pending" instead.

Yana N October 5, 2015

Nic Brough Thanks for your feedback.

Landing status of my current WF is 'TO DO'. In Edit Mode I see 'Add Status' option that has a list of different t statuses. There is no 'In Progress' , I have 'In Review' .

Is it the same?  Should I replace To Do with In Review.

Current scheme is:

Create - >To Do

In Progress

Done

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2015

This is not what you said earlier. You said the workflow is Create -> In Progress, not to-do. I don't understand what you want with your current contradictory data, but the advice still stands - work out where you want create to land, and make sure it lands there.

Suggest an answer