How to add Custom field with rich text ?

Alex Benavides February 15, 2016

Just like the Description and Comments field have it. I added one but it is plain text
I want to add a separate field with developers comments.

2 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2016

Have a look at the "field configuration" for the project//issue type.  Check that your field's "renderer" is set to something other than "plain text"

Alex Benavides February 15, 2016

THANK YOU !! For some reason, this wasns't easy to find in the documentation smile

Steven Craft September 4, 2017

I can't find this setting from the accepted answer. Sorry, I'm new to Jira!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2017

Start with the project settings page and look for "field configuration scheme", you should be able to drill down from there.

Like Cameron Evans likes this
Steven Craft September 5, 2017

Got it, thanks! 

Malachi Burke January 18, 2019

This helped me a lot.  Thank you!

Liubov Chornobai February 6, 2019

Thanks!

Benjamin Rosen May 20, 2019

Hi, this didn't work for me! I did the following project settings > fields > actions > edit fields. Then on the row next to the custom field I wanted to make rich text, I clicked > renderers > wiki style renderer (changed from the only other option, default text renderer). It still didn't work. I would like to be able to add pictures, bullets etc like on comments (and on this forum). Please let me know what I did wrong! Thank you very much. 

Like # people like this
Jess B June 27, 2019

Hey @Benjamin Rosen did you ever figure this out? I am trying to do the same thing with no luck so far. 

Katya Wegner August 29, 2019

Hi Jess B, I think it helps, when you follow the video Pavel made. It ist important that you change the renderer exactly for the right field configuration. 

First, I was a bit lost too. But then, I started via the project where I wanted to use the changed renderer. Next step was Fields, then you have the used Field Configuration and, in our version, an edit sign on the right side. And when I changed the renderer there, it was solved.

Like Michael Dun likes this
Phyllis Davies December 17, 2019

Lifesaver!

Deleted user January 14, 2020

Absolute genius! I spent so much time trying to fix this. and your post got it solved in seconds.  Thank you!

12 votes
Pavel Bryukhanov July 29, 2019

Despite this is marked as "Solved", I spent quite a few hours trying to understand how to fix this. 

Here is 5 minute video which I have created on how to do this. 

https://youtu.be/QCNHPy88iKA

I hope it helps. 

Greg Spektor September 18, 2019

Thank you for the great video. It's very clear and informative. I'm trying to have our Jira admin do this in Jira server so my search continues. :)

Brendan Byers November 8, 2019

Thanks for the helpful video.
Does anyone know if "user mention" (@username) works with these custom fields?
The option is presented but doesn't seem to work for me.
However I can use the old syntax ( [~username] ) so perhaps that is sufficient.

Like Raphi Levine likes this
Raphi Levine February 18, 2020

perfect.  lifesaver

Anna Hernandez January 13, 2021

Thanks so much!!!

Suggest an answer