How to add 3rd party jar library, that uses JNI and depends on platform dependent library (dll)?

Nikita Razhev August 20, 2017

Hi everyone, 

Task: to use a jar, that requires platform dependent libraries.

What was done: created a local maven repository, installed jar file and dll file there. 

<repositories>
<repository>
<id>InPlugin</id
<name>InPlugin Repo</name>
<url>file://${project.basedir}/inpluginRepo</url>
</repository>
</repositories>
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>my.groupId</groupId>
<artifactId>myArtifactId</artifactId>
<version>3.0.16</version>
<scope>compile</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>my.groupId</groupId>
<artifactId>myArtifactId</artifactId>
<version>3.0.16</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
<type>dll</type>
</dependency>

Symptoms: after installing jar file and adding dependencies I can see that my plugin component dependencies, which are located in this jar are resolved, but I recieved some new unresolved dependencies which I can see in Apache Felix Web Management console Imported Section for my plugin and I guess, they are related to this dll file

Besides, I have a guess: May be dll can't be used by a jar as it is strictly build on filename pattern and maven adds it's version.

May be there is a different way of managing such dependencies? Thank you in advance for your directions. 

2 answers

1 vote
Robert Schrag August 30, 2017

This might be relevant---deals with .so rather than .dll, though: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10071058/adding-a-jni-library-to-the-local-maven-repository

Nikita Razhev August 31, 2017

Thank you Robert. Definitly right direction. However I still have some problems, as there are restrictions for the file name of the external jar and corresponding libraries. But I'll try to overcome them with maven dependency plugin destFtleName option.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2017

I am not sure that there's a good reason to mix technologies.

Jar files are almost always Java objects, and dll's are usually "dynamic link libraries" built in a C variant.  To "import a dll" in a java based system such as JIRA, you'll have to provide a whole framework to support your dll and translate between the two technologies.

Could you step back and explain what you are trying to achieve?  Not the "I want to use X for Y", but what the end goal is for the user?

Nikita Razhev August 20, 2017

We have a 3rd party Java library, that uses some low level network communication functions through JNI. Libs for several platforms provided. There is no option "just not to use it". 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2017

That does not answer the question.  I specifically asked you not to say "use X for Y".  What is the end goal for the user?

Also, whatever you're doing, is there a Java library for it?  Because if not, you'll have to implement a whole framework inside your add-on.

Robert Schrag August 30, 2017

Have similar use case.  Need to integrate JNI app that includes jar, dll, and lib files.  Have substantial legacy code accessing app from different languages and frameworks.  Can't practically tell vendor to rebuild app from native C code using maven, need to provide our own solution.  Our use case doesn't seem technically difficult in principle---it's only four files.  

Suggest an answer