How to Use Custom Field(Story Points) in Burndown Reports

Chris S October 27, 2016

The built in "Estimate" field is uneditable after the item is assigned to a Sprint - which is ridiculous - so we don't use this field.  Therefore, we use a custom field for Story Points.  How do I associate this custom field to be used in a Burndown Chart in JIRA?

If this isn't possible, then how can you utilize the Estimate field in a better way?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2016

Go to the board configuration and change the estimate statistic to Story Points.

>The built in "Estimate" field is uneditable after the item is assigned to a Sprint - which is ridiculous

Um, no, that's trying to encourage good behaviour.  You should not be changing original estimates in a sprint - you've committed to doing that piece of work at that estimate, and the reports want to report on you going over or under, not re-estimating during a sprint.

Chris S October 28, 2016

Users don't need the software to restrict features and enforce "good" behavior.  A User Story can be broken down into more stories during grooming.  Versatility and adaptability is part of why it's called "AGILE".

I have the estimate statistic set to Story Points, but it doesn't work - even though all of the User Stories have assigned Story Points.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2016

The good behaviour is good for a reason.  If you change the numbers you started with, reporting on them later is utterly useless.  If you want to do that, then you might as well forget the burndown reports, they can't tell you anything useful.  Of course, that is fine when it comes to versatility and adaptability, as it's entirely up to you to do it that way.  But you can't expect that part of the reporting to work if you choose to destroy the information it relies on.

And, you've kind of missed the point of agile again.  You absolutely should re-estimate, merge, split and break-down issues during grooming.  But grooming happens before the sprint.  Not during.  Or it screws up your estimation basis.

Chris S October 30, 2016

What a joke - if you're here to teach people agile, try a different site. Splitting a 8 point story into a 3 and a 5 does not "destroy" information. It does not affect the reports. Your attempt at appearing to be an expert is failing. If you don't have a solution, you don't need to be here.

Like Jakob Klepp likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2016

I am trying to help, but I'm not sure you are quite seeing what I'm saying.

I did not say anything about splitting a story destroying information.  I said you destroy information by changing estimates after you start a sprint.  If you said "we estimate 4 hours", start a sprint, then change that to 8 hours, you don't know that you originally estimated 4 hours.  That means your velocity and accuracy measures simply no longer work.

The solution is still for you to follow the methodology - estimate before a sprint, start the sprint, and then use the information about how accurate your estimates were in the retrospective.

Suggest an answer