How to Set Issue Security on an Issue

Susan Cline August 30, 2012

I do apologize if this has been asked before. I have read some of the other questions and answers that were posted so I know there has to be a way but I am just not getting it. User Stories, issues, etc., have been created. We now want to just have certain user stories, issues, etc., seen by a particular people or a group . I've read the documentation on how to set Issue Security and created Security Schemes and Security Levels. I've also assigned groups to the Security Levels. One of those assignments is for current assignee thinking that would keep it locked down.

According to the Issue Security Levels screen,"Once you have set up some Security Levels, be sure to grant the "Set Issue Security" permission to relevant users." But how and where?Will this then keep certain people from viewing certain issues? Thanks in advance for your help.

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2012

>Once you have set up some Security Levels, be sure to grant the "Set Issue Security" permission to relevant users.

Look in the "permission scheme" for the project. One of the permissions in there is "allow these people to set issue security levels". Those people will then be offered the "security level" field when creating/editing issues in that project.

One little gotcha - you need to make sure the field is on the screens.

The way security levels work is to block people from seeing an issue even if they have general access to the project. I usually start with a simple scheme with levels like:

none - anyone in the project can see it

private - only people in role X and the reporter can see it

Hidden - only Jira admins can see it

Susan Cline August 31, 2012

Yes, I am one of those peopel but I don't see or know how to set it for each issue. Not sure what you mean but the gotcha - you need to make sure the fiels is on the screens - what screens and what field. Sorry if I seem slow but I have been trying to figure this out since we started using this software.

I changed the Set Issue to also include administrators (which I am in that group too) but I still don't see any field on a specfic issue when I edit it (or bulk change) that would indicate setting a security for it. I would think, since it is issue specific, that I would see something on the edit screen. I also checked to make sure all the fields are visible but again, no security option was there.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2012

S'ok, I've always found the interface fussy (flexibility is great, but it always gives you the overhead of complex adminstration) and completely understand it's daunting at first.

Think of it this way. For each issue, there's a chance that someone might say "I want to hide this". To do it, they need to tell Jira to hide it from certain people.

Jira does this by looking at a specific built-in field. This is called "security level". It looks like any other select-list field. The most similar standard field is "priority". Both of them are drop down lists, defined by the admins, and it lets the user choose one of the options.

However, not all the users can see the field. Only the ones who have the right permission can see and edit it. That's where the "set security level" permission comes in.

On top of that, it does behave precisely like any other field on screens - it must be on the "screen" for the users to be able to get to it. A screen in Jira is basically just a list of fields that Jira will show to the users when they are doing something with an issue. You can use different screens for View, Create, Edit and in the workflow as well.

If you nip into your project administration, look for "issue type screen scheme" (schemes are a way to bind together assorted configurations so that projects can use them), and edit it (don't worry, just going into "edit" doesn't mean you are committed to changing anything). You'll see that this says "use screen scheme X for issue type 1, screen scheme Y for issue type 2" and so on (or probably just "use screen scheme X by default". Descend into that and you'll see "use screen A for view, B for Edit and C for create" (again, it's likely to be "use screen A by default). Descend into a screen and you'll see it's a list of fields. Make sure the field "security level" is on the screen(s)

If I keep talking to myself I will eventually figure it out. I am very close. The security level was "hidden". Just selected "show". I think I am close to getting this set up right. Too many settings - very complicated process - at least for me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2012

No, you're not alone, there's a LOT of settings to play with.

I've been here since Jira 2.something, and I find new stuff at least once a month. And slap myself for getting a setting wrong at least once a week. We pay for flexibility...

Thank you so much. I think I got it now. You guys are always so helpful and patient. Have a great week-end.