How to Remove a value from Drop Down in a transition

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2012

Hi,

I have a Custom Field, ‘Change Type ‘ a drop down with values ‘Value1’, ‘Value2’ and ‘Value3’.

I use this field in two different Issue types, say ‘Type 1’ and ‘Type 2’. But I need to remove the value ‘Value2’ in Issue Type 2.

Tried adding Context, but we can’t have two contexts for a single project.

Is there any property like ‘jira.field.resolution.exclude’ for a custom field ? So that I can add this in Create Issue step.

Or any other Workaround ?

Thanks, Vishnu

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2012

You have to create two custom fields and set the context as applicable to the different issue-types (so that you can use the same transistion screen).

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2012

Thanks Renjith.

Do you mean I have to Create Two Custom Fields with same name ?

If so, I guess in filters we will have two fields. This may confuse users right ?

Also JIRA doesn't allo to create Context based on Issue Types. It's possible only based on projects.

As I mentioned, is there any properties I can use ?

FYI : I use JIRA 4.4.1 and 4.4

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2012

If you set the context of the fields correctly, only the right one will appear in the issue navigator filter after selection of project and issue type. Of course in other areas, like gadgets, jql, yes there is a chance for the people to get confused.

Am not sure about any other means :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2012

Yes, two fields mean two filter options, and some things go wrong if you use the same name for two different fields. I add a simple . to the name of one of one of them, or use capitals to distinguish them

>Also JIRA doesn't allo to create Context based on Issue Types. It's possible only based on projects.

Er, yes it does - I've got loads of fields locked to issue type instead of projects. That's been there since v3.0 if memory serves.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2012

Nic,

>Also JIRA doesn't allo to create Context based on Issue Types. It's possible only based on projects.

Are you sure ? I use JIRA 4.4.1. and 4.4. I couldn't create Context for this field based on issue types.

I added one cotext for 'Change Request' and added all projects to this context.

Then added one more context for 'Tasks' but I was unable to choose projects. The Projects drop down was empty as I have already added all projects to the first Context.

Did I miss anything ?

Regards, Vishnu.

0 votes
Sergey Papurin
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2012

Hi.

You can hide Value2 by jquery or javascript

Mohanbabu Somasundaram April 21, 2020

if you have a script for this please provide me and help me

0 votes
Pranjal Shukla April 4, 2012

Hi Vishnu,

Agrred that this is a challenge, Instead choosing a project in context, have global context for the field just associate it to the issue type. You can have as many contexts like these.

Suggest an answer