How to Move a set of Issues between instances of JIRA

C
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

I would like to Move / Copy / Clone issues from one jira instance to another to archive issues.

ideally:

• Issues can be individually Moved or Bulk Moved.
  • The Issue Key is retained
  • All Issue data, user information, and change history is retained.

anyone know how we could move issues based on a JQL filter to another instance?

5 answers

1 vote
Deleted user January 11, 2018

Hi Christian,

I'd recommend you using Configuration Manager for Jira for this one - the add-on gives you the ability to copy, clone or move Jira project configurations between instances, including their issue data. For migration purposes, it is known to deliver with zero data loss.

Here are some of the use cases that are relevant to your scenario:

If you have any questions, ping me :)

Cheers,

Bianka

Christopher Warnke July 24, 2018

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but we have CMJ and have issues migrating some data.  Specifically, test case data from our primary test tool, Xray.

I have just submitted a case and hope to see a response from Botron soon.

So i am also looking to see if there are alternate means of migrating data.  We are trying to implement a process for Promoting changes from a staging server to production.

Like chanduperi likes this
0 votes
J Conners July 14, 2023

Resurrecting this thread.

I have OrgOne with TestRail app that creates bugs in ProjectSource.

I have a separate OrgTwo that does not have TestRail where software is developed in ProjectTarget.

Ideally, I'd like to create an automation in OrgOne that moves all issues of type bug on creation by TestRail in ProjectSource to ProjectTarget - keeping same issue type and all other fields, attachments, comments. Or a scheduled bulk move automation.

Now, we are using CSV export/import periodically.

Thoughts?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2023

@J Conners

If you want to move issues from one jira to another on an automated basis I would check out the Backbone Issue Sync for Jira app.

Thanks,

Kian

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
J Conners July 14, 2023

Brilliant! Exactly what I was looking for.

Katarzyna Szumilas_Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 15, 2023

Hi!

Besides the mentioned Backbone you might also like to try Issue Sync Pro - a brand-new and free synchronization app developed by my team :)

Best regards,
Kasia

Robert Quinn July 21, 2023

Are there monetization plans? What will this cost 6 months or a year from now? Any Plans?

Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2023

Hi @J Conners

This is Majid @ Exalate. 

I hope the suggestions above were able to satisfy your use case, but in case you are still looking to find the ideal fit, I would urge you to look at Exalate as well. 

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Majid

Like # people like this
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 20, 2023

@J Conners - just one more option from the Atlassian marketplace with a free trial - ZigiOps

BR, Diana

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

Hi Christian,

I agree with Kian that the Project Import from a backup file is a headache.

Exporting issues to CSV from the issue navigator and importing them to the target instance seems to be a better option.

However, I would personally go for an offline archival approach, exporting issues to all formats at your disposal (CSV, HTML, Word, PDF, XML...) together with their attachments, and keep all that stuff properly classified in a folder anywhere else (Google Drive, Dropbox...).

That way, the info would be available for further consultation but not subject to licensing limitations, plus you avoid the temptation of resurrecting the project with its former configuration, which can take more effort than building it from scratch, specially as requirements change over time.

Don't be afraid of 'loosing' settings or searching capabilities: The exact configuration doesn't matter in read only mode, and Ctrl+F or Google Search is just good enough.

Regards

0 votes
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

To contribute to Kian, this is the plugin he may have had in mind -- https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.projectconfigurator/server/overview

It can do the work for you on it's own - but I recommend reading through the documentation first to really know what it does and how - it's powerful, so handle with care.

Though, I'm curious why you'd want to do a migration to archive data this way, there're backups for this.

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

Christian, 

I would highly encourage you to look at managing this with permission schemes. You can easily make issues "Read-only" and restrict most everyone from seeing them. The reason that I suggest this way is because splitting JIRA instances is normally not an easy task. There is often quite a bit of overhead. If you have to go down the splitting route for some reason, there are basically two options. 

1) Use the project export/import feature. Export a project from one JIRA instance and import it into another. The reason this is difficult is because the configurations between the two projects need to be essentially identical. This can require quite a bit of work to make them match. Additionally, you can only import into an empty project. This means you cannot import new issues that you want archived into an existing archive project. Unless you were able to leverage project templates, this method will require a lot of overhead. You may be able to reduce some of this configuration work with a plugin.

2) I do not have any affiliation with, nor have I used this plugin, but there does exist a plugin that can copy issues between remote instances. One issue with this is that Atlassian Labs makes it, it is unsupported, and not compatible with the latest versions. 

In general, this really is a chore to accomplish. Unless you've got no other option, I personally wouldn't go down that route.

Hope this helps. 

Kian

Suggest an answer