How to I get a list of Epics that have Issues linked to them?

Nik Blanchet August 13, 2014

I have a SCRUM Board meant to view the current Sprints across an entire department. The goals are the following.

• Display all Issues currently in Sprints from the relevant Projects in the Plan tab of the SCRUM Board.
  • Have the Epics on the left side of the board displayed if and only if they have Issues in the active Sprints that are linked to them.

First, I just grabbed the Issues.

project in (many many projects) AND issuetype in standardIssueTypes() AND Sprint in openSprints() ORDER BY Rank

Because Epics aren't embedded in Sprints, this left the Epics out. So I explictly grabbed the Epics.

project in (many many projects) AND (issuetype in standardIssueTypes() OR issuetype = Epic) AND Sprint in openSprints() ORDER BY Rank

This pulled in every single Epic ever made. I then tried to limit the Epic selection, though I knew this was too blunt a tool to deal with the teams' abandoned, unclosed, orphaned, and neglected epics.

project in (many many projects) AND issuetype in standardIssueTypes() AND (Sprint in openSprints() OR (issuetype = Epic AND updated > -6w))  ORDER BY Rank

How do I get only the Epics that are linked to from Issues in the current Sprint?

4 answers

1 vote
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2014

> How do I get only the Epics that are linked to from Issues in the current Sprint?

If you can use Script Runner, there are functions and some examples that might help here: https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+JQL+Functions#ScriptedJQLFunctions-MoreComplexExamples
You can filter further on the current sprint ID.
Sergio Moreno November 7, 2014

Hi. Script Runner is not available for OnDemand instances, is there anything we can do to get the same result: "get the issues Epic type from other issues that have them in the Epic link"? Thak you.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2014

I have never used it but there is https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/jql-pro. Seems to create a bit of a disconnected experience, although that's no fault of the plugin.

0 votes
jeanette gnecco December 10, 2020

I created this for my project and it returned all the EPICS that are linked to issues in the current sprint:

project = XXX AND issueFunction in epicsOf("sprint in opensprints()")

Since you have multiple projects you can modify the above to:

project in(XXX, XXX, XXX) AND issueFunction in epicsOf("sprint in opensprints()")

0 votes
Sriram Gollapalli May 2, 2016

Any update on this?  This would be extremely helpful for us too (using OnDemand) and I can't figure out a way to do this

Michael Ördög June 29, 2017

Hi!

I've tried to find a solution for this myself as well. And I did, at least for my application and intended use. 

You need to have ScriptRunner! 

And in ScriptRunner I used the epicsOf() function like so:

project = MyProject AND issueFunction in epicsOf('"Backlog" = "MyBacklog" AND Status in ("Ready for Backlog", "In Progress", "Ready For Verification", "Under Verification", "Resolved")')

This enabled me to filter out Epics for my backlog that were relevant to ongoing tasks, thus using the "Epics" window in the backlog properly without any irrelevant Epics.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2014

Hey Nik,

Sorry about this quick answer without reading through your entire question. But have you tried

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching#AdvancedSearching-Sprint

and https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching#AdvancedSearching-EpicLink

sprint = "xxxx" and "Epic Link" = Something

Nik Blanchet August 13, 2014

Sorry, Bhushan, but this won't fix my issue.

Your solution would only work for pulling Stories (or other Issues linked to Epics). This is not what I want. I want to pull Epics that have (1) have links to them from (2) Issues in the current Sprint. (I can get the "current sprint", but saying…

Sprint = openSprints()

. The challenge remains the Epics.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer