It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to I enforce an enterprise-wide sprint schedule?

We intend for all scrum teams to use the same sprint schedule (numbering scheme, start and end dates).

Other than a guideline (which people can make mistakes on) — How can I enforce an enterprise-wide sprint schedule?

2 answers

2 votes
Jack Community Leader Jan 14, 2020

first let me get on my soapbox...the risk of asking for help I guess. :-D

enforcing a set schedule across all teams is counter productive for Scrum. On of the benefits of scrum is to allow each team to 'find their sweet spot'. But I certainly don't know you business so maybe there is a valid reason to do so.

...off soapbox

With that out of the way, the best way to do this IMO is to meet w/ all scrum masters and agree on the naming conventions and sprint schedule. Publish these rules and ensure all team members understand. Give only the scrum masters the ability to manage sprints; less permissions means less likely to veer off course and better accountability.

...on soapbox...wait for the inevitable exception that will occur resulting in some deviation.

Hey Chris. I don't think I have the whole context. Is your question about how to enforce in Jira that all sprints start and end on the same dates for all teams and that they follow the same naming convention?

It seems that you could explore the use of Portfolio for JIRA. With this software you can create a plan and set the sprint length for all the teams involved in the plan. I've used it in the past and I don't think you can enforce naming conventions though. I'm playing with it now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you