How to I add an existing story to an Epic without using the Agile board?

Dave Ferguson (DFGrumpy) January 22, 2015

I have a project that is not an Agile project.  However, I want to be able to add existing stories to epics.  I can't seem to find a way to do this.  

10 answers

8 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2015

Check if you have the "epic link" field in the "edit" screen for the issue - that will let you name the epic you want the story to be part of from standard issue-edit operations.

Michael Samuelson November 1, 2018

Setting the "epic link" works not just for an issue's "edit" screen but also from the "create issue" form.

Like Sarah Mohr likes this
6 votes
Liz Robinson September 19, 2018

Hi,

I can work out how to do this if I select 'old view' in the top right - then I find the edit button and add an epic. 

But how do I do it in the new view - where's the edit button / add epic there?

I'll also try Ann's suggestion.

Thanks

Liz

Raphael Pereira October 2, 2018

Same problem here... it seems new view works different

Like eirens likes this
3 votes
gillian.bladen-clark May 21, 2019

Open the Jira.

Click the Edit icon in top left that has a little pencil icon, just below the Jira title

This opens a new floating window

Edit issue: 

- scroll down and you'll see Epic Link just below the assignee

eirens February 4, 2020

This works in the "old" ticket detail view, but there is no "Edit" (with pencil) button in the "new" ticket view, as of today, 4 February 2020, in Jira Software Cloud.

Like Jr_Man likes this
wayneZ209 March 4, 2020

Brilliant, I found it :)

3 votes
Ann Hines May 31, 2018

I was also able to do this by selecting and dragging the Story over to the EPIC on the left, creating that relationship. (JIRA v7.3.8)

Frank Dreyer July 30, 2018

I started a new project and I don't have the same controls and can't find the Epics on the left. Is there a way to make them appear?

Liz Robinson September 19, 2018

Hi,

Are you talking about on the Backlog board? If so, EPICS is written on its side on the left hand side under VERSIONS below the search box. If you click on it the Epics list pops out again.

If this isn't what you meant, sorry!

Liz 

Like Erin Hoops likes this
1 vote
Prakruti Chandak April 5, 2019

Go to Backlog Page

click the "..." icon

select "Add Epic"

1 vote
Ivan Ivakić October 4, 2018

In the new design you can add an existing issue to epic by clicking the "three dots" icon that appears when you hover over an issue "tile" on your board, it will show you additional options, among which you can find "add/change epic".

Chris McCurry October 15, 2018

There are no less than 3 "3-dot" icons in my UI - none of which have the option to "add/change epic"

The first -  is at the backlog level and includes options for the board, or creating a new board

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.09.46.jpg

The second - is at the item level (where I expected to find it) and includes options to add flags, log work, attach checklists, move, clone, etc.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.09.54.jpg

The last - is displayed just below the item summary and only includes the option "Temp"

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.10.10.jpg

I'll fully admit that I'm a Jira noob - I've used other backlog/story management systems and find Jira a little frustrating and non-sensical at times.

1. I found the awesome by selecting the specific story I wanted to attach from the backlog.
  2. Clicking on the story ID to open it own window 
  3. Click on the end button 
  4. Scrolling to the pop-up window down to the "Epic Link" pull down menu
  5. Entering the epic ID

The "Epic Link" is in the side-by-side details view but it's hidden under "show more" and a scroll to the bottom of the page.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.30.02.jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-15 at 13.30.09.jpg

I'm all for progressive disclosure or hiding advanced options unless they are needed - but attaching a Story to an Epic seems fundamental.

Like # people like this
Guillaume Chaperon October 16, 2018

Hi, 
Here is the "three dot" button you've to click : 
Capture du 2018-10-16 10-28-02.png

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2018

It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to do this.  I don't understand why it's not just part of the "Linked Issues" interface. 

Like # people like this
Joeri Bruneel February 15, 2019

Is atlassian going to do anything about this. Would be great to assing issue when creating to an epic. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Andrea Algarte December 26, 2019

Muchas gracias!!!!!!!! Ya estaba por eliminar issues.

0 votes
Shubha Uppunda August 22, 2019

I added previously created issues to a newly created epic by  - 

1. Open Backlog

2. Filter all the issues to be added

3. Drag one issue on the Epic in the left hand side Epic Window.

4. You will be able to see a green dashed highlight on the epic. Drop the Issue there.

Issue will be added to that Epic. 

0 votes
Oscar Contreras April 22, 2019

Dragging and dropping issues into epics inside the Backlog View works fine. But I would appreciate a more straightforward way of doing this in when you edit issue. The link to epic/change to epic functionality is not there.

0 votes
Dave Ferguson (DFGrumpy) January 22, 2015

Didn't even notice the field there.  Works perfectly.  Thank you.

Suggest an answer