How to Handle Concurrent workflow tasks or steps

Max Andersen July 24, 2017

Hi Community,

I am reaching out for help as I am getting no where and need your input to improve the next steps, all help is greatly apprecaited.

I have a process A -> B -> C -> where each step is it's own set of steps i.e:

A = A1 ->A2 ->A3

The twist is that whilst A must be done to start B and C need to happen at the same time with different transition points within each i.e.

B1 ->B2 can happen at a different time than C1 ->C2 and I'd like to maintain the overview of what is the state of A, B and C.

Is the best way to do this with 3 different workflows with interdepencies between them (if possible) or 1 workflow with sub workflows/ sub tasks?

Either way it be great if you can point me in a direction of how to complete your suggestion technically.

Thank you very much for your input

PS. if it helps your imagination each of the steps A, B and C are the development and mass review of certain deliverables and therefore B&C have a depency on A.

1 answer

1 vote
Ted Coldwell July 31, 2017

From the sounds of it, assuming the steps for B and C are different, I would go with 3 workflows.  When issue A reaches the point where B and C are required, create two subtasks (of types B and C) as part of A's workflow transition.

Transitions in B and C can be scripted to affect issue A; for example, you could not allow any transitions out of A:Waiting for Review until B and C are both in :Complete.

The only real complexity here is managing multiple issue types and mapping them to unique workflows, but it sounds like that's what's going on anyway.  Creating the types and workflows is just codifying what you are already doing.

Max Andersen August 2, 2017

Hi Ted - Thanks for your input

I did try this approach however I wanted everything on one board and couldn't do that as boards and workflows seem to be 1:1.

Thus I have everything in one workflow where i simplified things significantly. It is however dependant on a process controller/ facilitator to be functional (and a few conditions to ensure approval flows work as intended) (see the workflow attached) - the basic workflows are Build - check - review - improve - approved. All for tool kit, concept and product. (the concept being completed prior to the other two which are then in parrallel.)

Happy to explain more if people have further questions to our approach.

Max Andersen August 2, 2017

2017-08-02_08-57-22.jpg

Like Tim Lee likes this
Chris Thompson August 17, 2017

Hi Max,

Reading with interest here, you may have the solution to a problem I am stuck with.

I have a concurrent step by step tasks required to complete one workflow. I cant quite get my head around your set up and how I can adapt, any help would be greatly appreceated.

Try to visualise:

Workflow is for task A (create report) which requires:

B) request info from one place

C) request info from another place

D) request info from a third source

When B, C and D are complete I will be able to compelte A (i.e. produce a report based on info from sources B, C, D)

I need to monitor B,C & D independantly, i.e. chase if data not received. I considered sub tasks for each as they can then have different assignees and none will be missed, but subtasks need to follow the project workflow when really they would need their own workflow.

If you have overcome this or if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. I am getting better with JIRA reading the guides but theres a lot to gt your head around.

Thanks

Chris

Max Andersen August 17, 2017

Hi Chris - I believe I understand what you need.

I have overcome my concurrent steps with having multiple issue's generated. i.e. Once my concept has run through build -> check -> review -> improve -> concept approved it automatically (through JMWE post-functions) generates two issues of the same type to run through the same worflow for Tool Kit and Product. I did it this way to have everything on one board.

Next to that I have 12 people doing the review (12 sub-tasks are automatically created with transition to Review and viewed on seperate board) which inhibit the tranistion of the original issue.

Thus you could have an overall Task based workflow for Task A of backlog -> in progress -> complete. Once you move Task A to in progress it can automatically generate 3 subtasks (B C and D) which can all be seen on a seperate Board. Task A is then blocked by B C & D until they are in status complete.

Chris Thompson September 4, 2017

Thanks Max, that has really helped me get to where I needed to be. Appreceate it.

voyager8jlh July 23, 2018

Max,  thanks also, I just ran into the same situation and was scratching my head on how to get it done and the workflow be acceptable to management.  Just to make sure that I have got your plan down.

I create an issues and MAKE sure that the concurrent tasks are assigned as subtasks and the original issue CANT transition to done until the subtasks are done.  Is this correct.

Suggest an answer